ADVERTISEMENT

Another Harbinger for the GOP in the 2018 Midterm Elections

Buckeye Nation

Hall of Famer
May 29, 2001
https://www.yahoo.com/news/paul-ryan-republicans-apos-pay-191946523.html

Paul Ryan: Republicans Need To 'Pay Attention' To Democrats' Big Special Election Win

Amanda Terkel
HuffPost•January 17, 2018

Top Wisconsin Republicans ― including House Speaker Paul Ryan ― acknowledged it was a blow to their party, and it could mean bad news for the GOP in the 2018 midterm elections.

“I know this district fairly well. It’s not my district. It’s over in western Wisconsin. But typically, we’ve held this seat. And we lost this seat last night,” Ryan told reporters in Washington on Wednesday. “So yeah, I think we should pay attention to it.”

GOP Gov. Scott Walker, who is up for re-election in Wisconsin this year, called it a “wake-up call.”

Senate District 10 special election win by a Democrat is a wake up call for Republicans in Wisconsin.

Democrat Patty Schachtner, a county medical examiner, defeated her Republican opponent in state Senate District 10. Walker called a special election for the seat after the incumbent, Republican Sheila Harsdorf, gave it up to become his agriculture secretary.

Jessica Post, executive director of the Democratic Legislative Campaign Committee ― the group in charge of electing Democrats at the statehouse level ― said Schachtner’s win “perfectly encapsulates the local progressive movement” sweeping the country.

“An active community leader, Senator-elect Schachtner shared her lifelong connection to the district and connected with her future constituents about the issues they care about, from investing more in education to ensuring rural areas have access to quality health care and helping businesses grow to boost the local economy,” Post said in a statement.

a73a6359606af2631a98536d7bfb46c4

Reactions: blueinohio
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News