ADVERTISEMENT

Breaking down the defense

Alex Gleitman

Junior
Jul 8, 2019
Welcome back for another edition of “A-Deck” at BuckeyeGrove.com, where I’ll bring you thoughts, what I’m hearing, inside scoop, tidbits, and more for Ohio State recruiting and team coverage, every Wednesday.

Last week’s “A-Deck” took a deep dive into what to expect from the Buckeyes’ offense this coming season. This week we return with what reliable sources have shared about the defense, as they look to bounce back from a disappointing 2018 season (all thoughts ahead of fall camp).

DEFENSIVE TACKLE

“It’s an embarrassment of riches. BB Landers is a freak and has an oddly-similar skill set to Geno Atkins. I know a lot of people will say he’s not that good, but I think he’s going to surprise a lot of people. If he was a few inches taller he’d be in the mix to be an early round pick. I think he’ll end up in the middle rounds, only because of his size, but I think he ends up having a nice pro career. His first step quickness is outrageous and his punch-and-pull just stones guards. He’s the most underrated football player on the team and I think he’s going to have an incredible year.”

[DaVon] Hamilton is big and mean. He’s just a reliable interior player that can take on two blockers and free up everyone else to do damage. He’ll make the occasional play in the backfield, too. His name won’t be called a ton, but centers and guards will hate him, as he does a good job of keeping a low center-of-gravity, and creating space for linebackers to run free.”

Tommy Togiai has the most upside of anyone in that room, because I have never in my life seen anyone with his level of strength. Billy Price was a freak and so is Josh Myers, but neither of them compares to Tommy. Now we just have to get (and keep) him angry. He will get a lot of snaps.”

Haskell [Garrett] and Taron [Vincent] are coming on and are studs. You’ll see both of them out there a lot this year.”

"I know they have [Jashon] Cornell running with the ones to start camp, but I just don't see him having the type of season I think some of the other guys in that room can have. He'll be a regular in the rotation because he's a vet, but he's just a solid role guy to me."

DEFENSIVE END

[Chase] Young and [Jonathon] Cooper are obviously the guys at end. With Cooper, he reminds me of a more polished Jamal Marcus. He isn’t quite as big as Chase or the Bosa brothers, but he has demon speed and is surprisingly strong for his size. He is just a Buckeye, born-and-bred, and he wants to have an All-American type of season here. He and Chase make the fastest duo we’ve had at end here. Both ran sub 4.6 in testing.”

[Tyreke] Smith and [Tyler] Friday both got some snaps last year and both will be factors this year. Smith has a lightning first step, but isn’t as strong as he needs to be yet to set the edge consistently. He’s still a little raw, but has been developing quickly, although surgery to repair a minor tear set him back a little in summer on that end. Friday reminds me of Steve Miller a bit, as far as not having the elite skill set or freaky athleticism that some of his peers have, but just being rock solid and getting the job done.”

Zach Harrison is the best all-around athlete I’ve ever personally laid eyes on. At times it seems like he defies physics. He is annoying to coach because he won’t do it how you want it, yet is still unblockable. He has the tools to be the scariest pass rusher we’ve had here in a while, possibly ever. His closing speed is unmatched. Larry [Johnson] is the best coach in America and is doing a great job with him, but so is Kenny Anunike (DL graduate assistant), who I think people may say the same thing about one day. He’s working his tail off to develop Zach and get him ready for the season. Some poor reserve tackle will get embarrassed during garbage time this year when they take on Zach. He’s still super raw, and needs to develop more before he sees serious rotation minutes, but he will be a great one if he keeps on this track.”

LINEBACKER

“Anyone who says they know who the starters are outside of Malik Harrison is lying. It’s Tuf’s [Borland] job to lose in the middle, but if [Teradja] Mitchell keeps balling out, he absolutely can take it from him. Mitchell isn’t a burner, but he plays hungry and has great instincts.”

Baron [Browning] has flashed and if he can put it all together, he has the tools to be the best player in the room. His athleticism is unmatched at linebacker, but will the lightbulb finally come on? We shall see. Look for him to be used in a variety of ways, including on the outside/on the edge potentially.”

“Malik is an All-American. Enough said. Pete [Werner] has continued to develop and do a nice job, but [Dallas] Gant is nipping at his heels and I believe Cade Stover will have a ridiculous camp and push all the guys ahead of him for time.”

DEFENSIVE BACK

[Jordan] Fuller and [Brendon] White are locked in as starters. I don’t care if anyone says the competition at bullet or safety or whatever is open, those guys are going to be on the field. For White, whether he is the bullet or we’re in even coverage and he’s the deep half, he’s a starter and will have a really good year.”

[Damon] Arnette is the first corner right now and [Jeff] Okudah is the second. Arnette had a very good spring and I think he’ll surprise a lot of people on his way to becoming an early round draft pick. [Shaun] Wade is the nickel and will play a lot of snaps. He’s improved a lot and will be the first corner next year, as I think Okudah will leave early after what will be a breakout year.”

[Jahsen] Wint and [Isaiah] Pryor are the top backups at safety entering camp. Both will get looks at bullet as well, and that has proven to be a much more natural position for Wint, as he played linebacker in high school and never really had to cover prior to coming here. He’s looked really good in that role, and I think Pryor being able to play down in the box there a bit too makes him more valuable in the long run.”

Josh Proctor is very talented, but has been a bit inconsistent. I think he’ll be in the two-deep at safety, but I think he needs one more year to mature and gain greater focus before he breaks through as a star in 2020.”

Amir Riep has looked good at times, but he’s also inconsistent. We’re not sure what we’re going to get day-to-day.”

“A guy nobody is talking about is Marcus Williamson. He will be a lockdown corner here at some point and I am excited about him. He has good wheels and has a lot of scrappiness to his game, like Brad Roby did. I think he’ll start alongside Wade in 2020, he’s just got a ton of talent in front of him right now.”

Sevyn Banks has good length and good speed. He’s still learning how to play the game, but has great upside and I think he can be a future starter here.”

Cam Brown is one to watch too. He can move. Really explosive and dynamic athlete. Taking to cornerback really well and if there was a dark horse to surprise he could be my pick.”

Tyreke Johnson has the talent and tools, but he has some way to go in his development. We’re pretty loaded in the secondary, so I don’t see him getting on the field much this year unless something changes.”

EMPTYING THE NOTEBOOK

One source thinks Josh Myers and Zach Harrison (“I don’t know how much he’ll play, but I think you’ll see some crazy highlight-type plays from him”) will be the surprise players on both sides of the ball.

A source tied in, but not a part of the team, predicts an 11-1 season for Ohio State if Justin Fields doesn’t get hurt. The source thinks Cincinnati could be a game to watch as that potential loss early in the year as the new staff, new QB, new OL, and new defensive scheme are a lot to take on.

The same source thinks Ohio State beats Michigan and wins the Big Ten East, setting up a revenge game with West winner Purdue in Indianapolis. The source thinks OSU wins that game and goes to the CFP at 12-1 and Big Ten Champs.

Some thoughts on a few other teams:

-Michigan State: “Will be much improved as their QB will be healthy again and they return a ton of starters.”

-Illinois: “I think they surprise some people, wining 6 games and making a bowl. They started a lot of underclassmen last year and those teams always tend to make a jump.”

-Cincinnati: “It’s a huge trap game for Ohio State. Can’t come out flat.”

-Purdue: “Once again will be the surprise of the Big Ten. Everyone is talking up Nebraska in the West, but I think Purdue gets 10 wins this year. Their QB [Elijah Sindelar] has a NFL arm and they return the most electric player in college football [Rondale Moore]. If they can protect Sindelar, they will win that division.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News