ADVERTISEMENT

Crunch Time

Marc Givler

Hall of Famer
Jan 10, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
More on the official visitors

Just two official visitors this weekend for Ohio State but two guys that are quickly gaining traction in Virginia defensive back K'Von Wallace and JUCO offensive tackle Malcolm Pridgeon.

I posted a note on Pridgeon on Saturday that said things were going very well. What I'm told coming out of the visit, is that Pridgeon is telling people that Baylor and Ohio State are his two top schools right now. A decision is going to come "probably Tuesday or Wednesday" and it's likely going to be one of those two programs.

Call me crazy but I'm starting to think Pridgeon could find his way into the class. I'm told the offensive assistants are pounding the table for him, ultimately it's going to be Meyer's call and he probably won't make the call for sure until the two big Monday night announcements.

As for Wallace, I think he is just a notch higher on the priority list right now because the need at defensive back is greater than the need at offensive line. But that's tonight. If Fuller would pick Ohio State tomorrow as is expected and Hamlin would surprise and pick Ohio State as well, that could certainly change things.

But there is no doubt Wallace loved his visit this weekend, if he has a spot, he'll take it in my opinion.

So wait, how many of these guys are they going to get into this class? You'll have to scroll down a few segments to get my thoughts on that.

Interesting note on Honigford

Posted a front page story on Sugar Creek (Ohio) Garaway offensive lineman Joel Honigford this afternoon. Joel isn't a name that we've talked about a ton to this point but he's a guy everyone should probably familiarize themselves with.

While Ohio State is going to picky along the offensive line, I spoke to someone close to the team today who shared an interesting sentiment on Honigford.

"If there's another Ohio guy that (OSU) offers along the offensive line, I think it would be Honigford," they shared. "I think he would be the next guy in line for an offer."

This does make some sense. First of all, Honigford isn't some scrub, he's a top 20 kid in Ohio in a year that is looking to be a pretty strong one, at least within the top 25-30 or so. He's also a tackle body. Myers might be a guard and Moretti might be a guard, most of the guys that Ohio State is going to target moving forward will be tackle bodies. You can always kick them inside to get your best five on the field, you can't really move a guard body outside, just doesn't work that way.

It won't be easy for another Ohio kid to sneak into this class along the offensive line, it will probably take a dominant camp performance over the summer, but Honigford is a guy that we should all probably start paying a little more attention to.

Previewing a big Monday

We keep talking about all of the moving parts out there right now which will collectively determine the last 3-4 members of this Ohio State class. We'll get a lot of answers on Monday night when in the span of about an hour, Damar Hamlin and Jordan Fuller will both make their decisions.

I'm still in the Fuller to OSU boat tonight. The Ohio State sources I talk to are still more confident than the Michigan sources I talk to and the Buckeyes have just been there the whole way. I think the Michigan visit went well and that they gave him something to think about but I think he sticks with the school that was in the driver's seat for the last month or so and I'm not so sure some of this Michigan stuff recently isn't trying to build some suspense. Not much point in a big announcement if everyone knows where you're going.

Similar deal with Hamlin. Pitt has been the school to beat for so long there. There are some Pittsburgh area sources trying to beat the Ohio State drum a little bit this weekend but it just seems like an attempt to create suspense in my opinion. Hamlin once again was at the Pitt basketball game today hanging out in the student section.

I'll say it again and if I'm wrong, I'm wrong and I'll own it but this would be the single biggest troll of the hometown school that I have ever seen in recruiting if Hamlin doesn't pick Pitt. He has given that program, those fans, and those coaches every single reason to believe that is where he is going.

I can't pick against the evidence on this one. If I'm wrong you guys will be thrilled anyway, right?

I think the Buckeyes go 1-for-2 tomorrow night and that would certainly be good news. 2-for-2 and it's going to be quite a party in the Horseshoe Lounge. 0-for-2, and I'm going to need to be a therapist tomorrow night, not a recruiting analyst.

Thoughts on King

The mystery man, Jamar King. Will it be Alabama, Ohio State, or a surprise in UCF? Alabama and Ohio State are facing numbers issues so if King wants in at OSU, he better let someone know because spots are going fast. Alabama is in the same position, I'm told, where if he called up tonight and committed they'd probably take him but if he waits until Tuesday they might be full.

King hasn't just been quiet with the media, I'm being told he has gone pretty quiet with college coaches as well. This one has certainly been different and I'd hate to have money on what this dude is going to do but I just don't get the sense it's going to be Ohio State for him.

I could be wrong, but he had a chance to commit on the visit and didn't and has had a chance to save his spot since then and hasn't either. He could come to a decision tomorrow and sneak into the class but just seems wise to take The Field here at this point. A whole lot of moving parts though.

Four instead of three?

So we've been going under the premise that there are definitely three spots left in this class, maybe one more, but definitely a minimum of three. I've been hearing enough positive things on enough targets this weekend to think that four might be more realistic than initially thought.

Harrison is in. I still believe they are getting Fuller and I think there is strong consideration being given to taking one of Wallace/Hamlin/Becker AND Pridgeon for a four-man finish. This doesn't take King into consideration, who could still find his way into the class if he moves quickly. At that point, King would probably take a spot away from one of the above, likely Wallace or Pridgeon.

Let's just say the brain is spinning right now trying to put together all of the possible combinations, but my best guess right now is that this class adds four more prospects from Monday through Wednesday.

Best guess right now, and this is subject to change based on what happens with tomorrow with at least two announcements (wouldn't shock me if one or two of the remaining targets made an unscheduled announcement tomorrow too) is Harrison, Fuller, Pridgeon, Wallace to finish this out.

We'll see. There are certainly a few different combinations in play.

Junior Day a success

No immediate commitment news coming out of today's Junior Day but it was definitely a major success. The Buckeyes jumped into the lead for Maryland offensive lineman Jordan McNair, continued to build strong relationships with key in-state targets Jaylen Harris, Jack Carman, and Jaelen Gill, and most importantly were able to sit down with some guys who don't yet have offers like Javonte Richardson, Danny Davis, and Trey Pugh.

It's a tough situation trying to manage in-state stars that don't have offers. There's a fine line between misleading them into thinking an offer is coming when it may not be and keeping them engaged so you don't lose them early. I was a little surprised at how upbeat Davis specifically was coming out of the visit, it seems like he's at least on the same page with the coaching staff and is going to take his time with the process which will help the Buckeyes sort things out in the mean time.

These guys are all good enough for offers (and in most years would already have them) but spots are going to be tight in this class, especially at wide receiver. Anytime you can get these types of kids on campus and keep them engaged, it's a good thing. I think they'll find a way to get as many of these guys in the class as possible.

I expect Amir Riep to be a part of the 2017 class for Ohio State. Kerry Coombs has treated Amir like a priority for a long time now so to have that offer now and with Coombs' connection to the Colerain program, it's hard for me to see him ending up elsewhere. As I said earlier, I think he's too good to let leave the state, regardless of what the defensive backs board looks like.

As for McNair, spots are also tight along the offensive line. Josh Myers and Jake Moretti are in. To me, they are recruiting like it's going to be a four-man class along the line, I don't see them stopping at just one more given what else they are in on at this point. They're going to be selective here and I know McNair is a prospect they like. I think today was the best case scenario. They knocked his socks off and bolted to the top his list but he didn't try and commit and it allows them to continue to let things play out. Patience is going to be key in this class.

Urban Meyer continues to take a personal approach with Gill. Not many Ohio sophomores getting the 10-15 minute sit down with the CEO, but that's what Gill got today. Jaelen is going to take his time. He's a national recruit and this is a once in a lifetime opportunity for him to get out and see a lot of schools. He'll likely visit UCLA in the spring, he'll likely visit Michigan soon too with the Wolverines offering this week.

But this will be a tough pull for anyone outside of Columbus. Meyer is on him early and recruiting him just like did Raekwon McMillan and Torrance Gibson, and that's important, you can't take the in-state kids for granted. Will have more on Gill later, but he told me today's meeting with Tony Alford was his best meeting with an OSU staffer to this point. Buckeyes in great shape here but everyone is going to have to be patient because he is going to look at other schools.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News