D1 Early Signing Period to be considered

jake8675309

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2015
Guess no one is listening to Coach Meyer:

DI to consider early signing period in football

Change intended to improve football recruiting environment
October 5, 2016 4:21pmGreg Johnson
High school football prospects could experience greater transparency in the recruiting process if a new football recruiting model introduced by the Division I Council is adopted.

The heavily debated proposal focuses on four areas: camps and clinics; revising the recruiting calendar; regulating employment of individuals associated with prospects; and coaching limits.

The proposal would make accommodations for two, 72-hour early signing periods beginning on the last Wednesday in June and in mid-December. The December date is also the initial time junior college players can sign a National Letter of Intent.

Because the Division I Collegiate Commissioners Association provides governance oversight for the National Letter of Intent program, the Council will ask the commissioners’ association to adopt the changes to the signing periods for Division I football.

The Division I Football Oversight Committee, spearheaded by months of work by a football recruiting working group, recommended the proposal.

Currently, the only signing period for high school football prospects begins the first Wednesday in February. Coaches and administrators have discussed creating an early signing period for years, and the Football Oversight Committee studied the issue thoroughly. Ultimately, members believe they have developed a recruiting model that balances the interests of all involved.

“The working group did a deep dive on recruiting from beginning to end, and I think what we came up with as a proposal is both student-athlete-friendly and coach- and staff-friendly,” said Bob Bowlsby, chair of the Football Oversight Committee and commissioner of the Big 12 Conference. “We hit a sweet spot.”

The proposal would be effective for the 2017-18 signing year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News