ADVERTISEMENT

Defensive Tackle

V-BCoach

All-conference
Gold Member
Aug 20, 2015
Now, this thread isn't going to be complaining about the recruitment of the position or anything like that. I just want to discuss the nature of the position.

My philosophy is that OSU will get a top 5 type DT when the state of Ohio produces a top 5 DT. I saw two of the top five DTs in Ohio up close and personal like. Looney was #1 and Pooler was #5. I have even seen Saunders who was #7. All were very good players, but not that elite level kid at all.

Last year, OSU got Landers, who I love as he just tore my team up along with everyone else he faced. Taylor went to ND. OSU got Hamilton. All were good prospects, but again not elite. Taylor I thought struggled due to the style he played and an ankle injury he suffered. Still, all three guys were 3 star players.

2014 was a horrible year in Ohio for DTs. OSU lost out on Daniel Cage and I didn't understand his recruitment. There was no one other than that really. 2013 was just as bad. Billy Price was the top guy and he was moved to OL quickly. Munger is serviceable, but not elite. Peterson didn't even play college football, instead switching to track.

What we have been seeing are Ohio producing DTs who used to be DEs. Bennet and Washington did a terrific job at this. Jones is next in line. Cornell also seems to be headed that way. To me, since Ohio isn't producing those elite, true DTs, OSU has adapted and created their own.

Recruiting DTs from out of state is REALLY tough. Those big boys do not go far from home. It happens, don't get me wrong. However, the norm is to stay home. Bama took 3 DTs, one from Bama, one from Mississippi, and one from Texas. They didn't go far. Now, if Indiana, Illinois, or Kentucky were producing elite DTs, I think OSU would be in on them. Those states aren't doing that though.

In fact, the first DT in the rankings to come from a tradition B1G state is #21 Jones from Illinois. He chose MSU. The state of Illinois actually produced #21, #24, and #25 in the DT rankings on Rivals. The next traditional B1G state to produce one is Indiana with #24 Jovan Swann who is going to Stanford. The B1G region just is not producing DTs. Maryland did have some players in there, but that is why I said "traditional".

So when you look at DT recruiting, you really have to look at how things are laid out and how they work. It is perhaps the toughest position to recruit if they aren't in your area.

Any thoughts?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News