ADVERTISEMENT

EXTRA: Sorting out the LB situation

Marc Givler

Hall of Famer
Jan 10, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
There is no question that linebacker recruiting in the 2018 class could be getting very interesting over the next couple of months. Ohio State is recruiting like it is going to take about 7 linebackers in this class which certainly raises some questions.

Of course they aren't actually going to take 7, at least I don't think they are. But there are enough big-time players in the mix here that some clarity is needed so I will try my best on where things are at today.

Definite Takes:

Palaie Gaoteote. The USC commitment is going to be tough to pull away, but I do expect him to make a visit at some point before Signing Day. They'll take him if he calls the last day of the cycle, his status on this list will never change.

Dallas Gant. The top in-state target at the position and he has been 1a to Palaie Gaoteote's 1 for really the entire process to this point. Like OSU's chances a lot here.

Chris Oats. I thought about putting him in the next category, but I continue to hear he's safe right now in terms of having a spot in the class if he wants it. He's visiting this weekend with his family so that's going to be something to watch closely. Love OSU's chances.

Teradja Mitchell. Big-time national battle here, but OSU has a shot.

Payton Wilson. Deciding on May 1st, visiting OSU April 1st. I think it's UNC or Clemson right now and OSU will need to change his mind on the visit, but they'll take him May 1st if he wants in.

Solomon Tuliaupupu. California thumper, definite MIKE. Put this one on the backburner until about December. He's talking up OSU now as a contender, but this one could go the distance.

Really like, might take, would prefer to wait:

This long-winded category name is for players that I feel the coaching staff really likes right now, feels they are good enough to play at Ohio State, but would probably prefer them to wait until some of the above dominoes fall and the numbers become more clear.

Shayne Simon. New Jersey kid that we haven't talked about quite as much as some others but he's high on the Buckeyes. Tough to see this working if Gant and Oats are both in, but still possible I guess.

Adrian Jackson. We've talked a lot about Adrian. I don't think OSU is quite ready to jump here but certainly they like this kid. They'll get him if they can take him.

Xavier Peters. Yes, I know, he doesn't have an offer right now. Still told the coaches are really intrigued with him. Can't recruit him the same way you recruit the out-of-state kids, have to be 100% ready to take him if you offer.

Michael Harris. Recently offered Georgia prospect who was born in Ohio. Buckeyes lead and can absolutely get him. Don't think they want to be forced into that position before Wilson at least visits and they can get a feel for where they really stand there.

On the radar, needs to show more:

Cameron McGrone. Indianapolis guy that has already visited. Good prospect but probably needs to camp and get some help from the above guys.

Jeslord Boateng. Local kid out of Dublin Coffman. Poor man's Jerome Baker in that he is undersized but can really run to the football. Played some D-End as a sophomore but moved back to LB this past fall and the transition went well. Needs a monster camp performance.

Brian Asamoah. Probably ahead of Boateng on the local prospect list. DeSales product fits the same mold, undersized but explosive.

Jack Sanborn. Illinois kid that Ohio State has been kicking the tires with in recent months. Probably a MIKE. Don't think they'll move with an offer here without a great camp performance and with the likes of Harris, Mitchell, etc. still in play that could be a tall task.

Outlook

I initially felt this would be a three linebacker class. It still could be, but the way they are recruiting the position right now leads me to believe that they will go over that number. Worley is gone after the season. Booker and Baker are draft eligible and I think both would go if they have good seasons, with Baker obviously being the more proven commodity right now.

It is reasonable to assume that through graduation, early entry and other forms of attrition, that there could be at least three linebackers from this team that won't be back next year. Factor in the strength of the in-state class at the position and the fact that there are several out-of-state stars showing serious interest from areas like Georgia and Virginia Beach where the Buckeyes love to recruit, and I could see a fourth being tacked on here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.