ADVERTISEMENT

Few interesting things from the last couple days

22buck

Junior
Gold Member
Aug 17, 2015
Haven't seen it mentioned here but there were some interesting comments from Larry Johnson and Studrawa about the tremendous depth they have. The Big Ten Network guys noticed as well, especially DiNardo, who repeatedly talked about OSU's linemen (in between the BTN guys giggling about OSU's overall talent).

LJ said he's going to rotate 6 guys at DT and that all 6 of them run 5.0 or better. Which includes Davon Hamilton who recently ran 5.0 at 6-3 324. (I think Hamilton is an NFL guy and there were some articles over the winter about how well he graded out on film. He isn't carrying any bad weight at 324.)

LJ said that kind of depth is very unusual. He said the 3 nose guards (BB, Hamilton and Togiai) "could play anywhere in the country". At the 3 tech, Cornell ran a 4.65 in recent testing and he will rotate with Garrett and Vincent.

Studrawa said he's never had the quality depth they have right now. He said he has 4 tackles "who could start anywhere... in this league... or anywhere else I've been" (which includes LSU). He said the OL depth is so good he can't get 2nd team reps for Vimahi (who he said "is 295 now and, wow, looks like a million bucks") or Dawand Jones, who he said "runs around at 375 pounds like an athletic guy".

As I said the BTN guys took notice. They go out of their way to promote all the teams in the conference so they try not to let themselves be too effusive about OSU. In fact, at the end of the show they said (in unison) "we judge them differently" from the other teams in the conference. But, as I said, they were giggling at times when discussing OSU's talent. And it wasn't just the linemen... Howard Griffith was really impressed with OSU's depth in the defensive backfield, especially at corner.

Depth is the word this year. If they can keep Fields and Dobbins healthy, they can withstand injuries at any other position and still play at a championship level. I'm really looking forward to this season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News