ADVERTISEMENT

Football GAME THOUGHTS: #2 Ohio State 52, Akron 6

AEllis

Aug 15, 2022
We'll start with the concerning parts.

• Justin Frye and the Ohio State offensive line simply have to get better. I know Akron has a good defensive front (in MAC terms) and Donovan Jackson wasn't playing, but there's really no excuse for that level of play. The first half was particularly bad and fortunately things improved as the game progressed. I'd probably give them a D.
  • I was surprised by some of the missed tackles from Caleb Downs. I don't think he was bad by any means. He just missed some that I expected him to make.
  • The late-first half backwards toss to Henderson was a really dumb play by Howard. That could have been disastrous.
  • Quinshon Judkins missed some open lanes. I know the offensive line wasn't helping him much, but there were definitely a few plays there where he seemed to miss a hole. 13 for 55 against Akron is a tough look for him and the line.
  • I am sold on CJ Hicks as a blitzer. I am not sold on CJ Hicks as a linebacker.
Other than that.....

• I thought Will Howard was really good. I posted in in the game thread, but there were just so many plays that would have ended in a sack or throwaway in 2023. His ability to shake off defenders is something we haven't seen in a while at quarterback.
  • TreVeyon Henderson looked explosive and was clearly the better back today. He also had a few really nice blitz pickups.
  • If Miami offers Jeremiah Smith $5 million in January, Ohio State needs to offer him $10. It's not even fair how good he is. Glad to see him bounce back after a horrendous opening drive.
  • I'm all aboard the James Peoples express.
  • I didn't see much at all from the tight ends, but it did look like Jelani Thurman was a capable blocker when I was watching.
  • I'm glad they let Brown throw it around a bit later in the game. Nothing annoys me more than them going into the fetal position after getting up by 20+.

• The defense was really good. The Burke pick was excellent.
  • JT and Jack played well from I could see. JT did miss a tackle or two that could've been big losses though.
  • Really enjoyed that dime look they had when JT and Downs combined for the sack.
  • Loved seeing Kanu and Curry team up to force that fumble that led to the Ransom score.
  • I didn't watch the linebackers a ton and will try to do that more when I rewatch. My initial thought is that I would rank them 1. Styles, 2. Reese, 3. Hicks. Obviously Simon being out changes things up a lot as far as who's lining up where.
  • Props to Ben Finley for hanging in there as long as he did. That dude was getting annihilated.
  • I love Brandon Inniss as a punt returner. Just let him do that all season. No need to put Emeka back there imo.

GRADES:

Quarterback: B+
Running backs: C
Wideouts: A-
Tight ends: C+ (I guess?)
Offensive line: D

Defensive line: A
Linebackers: B+
Defensive backs: A
Special Teams: B+

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.