ADVERTISEMENT

Football GAME THOUGHTS: #4 Ohio State 21, Nebraska 17

AEllis

Aug 15, 2022
Just a putrid performance by just about everyone. Reminded me of the Missouri game with a different end result. Survive and advance I guess??? But there are some serious problems that need to be addressed over the next seven days, and I have no idea if that's enough time to get things turned around.

• This program has a Justin Frye problem. Zen Michalski was obviously horrendous, but I put most of the blame on the lack of recruiting/depth/development. I genuinely thought they might have someone else start the second half at LT.
  • The entire left side of the line was bad. I honestly didn't even watch the right side much because I was focusing on the glaring problems on the other side. Donovan Jackson also had a very forgettable day.
  • I don't know what the answer is, but this team will get killed by PSU/Indiana/Michigan if it plays anything like that. George Fitzpatrick? Luke Montgomery? Donovan Jackson to LT (lol)? Maybe just play with three tight ends helping out the left side on every play?
  • The running game today? Beyond bad.
  • This program also seems to have a Ryan Day problem. They had two weeks to prepare for a team that just lost by 50 to Indiana.....and this is what we got?
  • Zero first downs in the third quarter. Pathetic.
  • The deep ball TD to Tate was underthrown. The deep ball TD to Jeremiah was a beautiful throw.
  • Howard missed a few reads where he should have kept the ball. I will say that he DID have the one nice keeper on the go-ahead TD drive, though.
  • Emeka should have run a better route on the third down catch where he was stopped just short.
  • Nebraska only bringing three on the one TD pass is a fireable offense for their DC.
  • The Howard INT was very bad.
  • Howard had Emeka wide open for an easy conversion on a 3rd and 3. Instead he threw it further downfield to Jeremiah. Incomplete pass. Ended up punting.
  • I will give Will Howard credit for the final touchdown drive. Definitely not his best day, but it also wasn't terrible.
  • Chip Kelly has seen better days (and so have the officials).
  • Did I mention that the offensive line was terrible?
  • The go-ahead TD drive was nice and the running game finally did some things on that drive.
  • The field goal attempt was nearly as bad as Ruggles against Georgia.
  • As much as Michalski struggled, I obviously hate to see the kid get hurt.

• The defense wasn't as bad as the offense, but I'd probably still give them a D.
  • Wayyyy too many missed tackles.
  • I DID like that they were mixings things up a bit more. I did NOT like how confused the players looked on seemingly every play. Mathews especially looked perplexed and was constantly looking around pre-play as if he had no idea what was going on.
  • Mathews did have a nice play when he read the screen and blew it up.
  • Ohio State has a Larry Johnson problem. I know the mythical rushmen is a thing and has worked in the past, but why on earth do we have Curry and Jackson at DT when you have Tyleik Williams on the team?
  • JT sacked the QB when he was unblocked --- hurray! I don't get why he regularly can get some pressure but ends up several yards behind the quarterback. I assume that is more of a Larry thing than a JT thing......but it's annoying.
  • On the 3rd and 10 long Raiola run......they were bringing pressure but everyone ran past the quarterback. Downs was blitzing too and the Nebraska running back did a nice job picking him.
  • I'll give credit to Raiola. He is going to be scary over the next couple of years.
  • Igbinosun just cannot stop grabbing people (nice play on the goal line stand though).
  • Burke was bad again.
  • Cody Simon definitely flashed a few times; especially late in the game.
  • Caleb Downs is really good. It sucked seeing him getting picked by the official on the long pass to the tight end.
  • Nebraska missed at last two should-have-been touchdown passes.
  • Hilarious how a team with a horrible kicking game suddenly had vintage Justin Tucker today.
  • I am revising the defensive grade to a C- after they held Nebraska at the end there and picked off a pass to seal the deal.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.