ADVERTISEMENT

Looking back at previous OSU QBs

LouBuck35

Sophomore
Gold Member
Jan 12, 2023
With camp at the midway point, QB1 yet to be named (it's Will Howard), and said QB1's ability to push the ball down the field - I began looking back at games played by older OSU QBs. I'm not counting any of the modern-ish QBs -especially those since Coach Day has been here.

For example - there are multiple people on YouTube who have posted drive thru full games that are around 35-40 minutes. I've watched probably too many of those in the last few weeks. I watched multiple Troy Smith games from 2004 - 2006, some of the Todd Boeckman Experience and last night I watched some Terrelle Pryor. I've got to say....we are 10,000% living in the Golden Age of Ohio State QB play. I was actually shocked at how bad Pryor's throwing motion was in the Rose Bowl against Oregon - way worse than I remembered. He basically was shot putting the ball around. I think he only completed 3 passes that were longer than 15 yards in the air. Troy Smith, particularly in 2004 and 2005, was wild with his mechanics and semi inconsistent. Even in his Heisman year, he would step in the bucket on throws down the field when not being pressured, etc.

So many of the recent OSU QBs have made things that would have been incredibly difficult for those QBs look incredibly easy. NO ONE was throwing a deep out from the opposite hash and hitting someone on the money, which has become a common staple of our offense today. Anyway, fairly OT, but it's amazing how much the game has changed from the QB perspective in 15-20 years. EVERYONE wanted Terrelle Pryor back in 2009 and I don't know that he'd be a top 20 QB today. Linking to the 2010 Oregon game below (be on the look out for a younger and thinner Chip Kelly)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.