Prince Buck Nasty

Hall of Famer
Oct 16, 2006
Columbus
2. ALABAMA'S 2017 CLASS PASSES THE EYE TEST

byusavhi191jxejbubjh

Nick Saban
USA Today Sports
Alabama, in a stunner, is No. 1 in the Rivals.com Team Recruiting Rankings, followed by Ohio State at No. 2. It's fitting as the two programs have emerged over the last several years as arguably the top two in the country.

Our Rivals.com points system takes out any perceived bias and simply compares the top 20 prospects in each class. But what about the human element? That’s what I’m here for and, right now, I would agree with the current order of Tide and then Buckeyes.

Offensively, I like Alabama's offensive line 1-2 punch of Alex Leatherwood and JUCO stud Elliot Baker slightly better than Ohio State's duo of Josh Myers and Wyatt Davis. At wide receiver, I give the edge to the Buckeyes with Trevon Grimes and Tyjon Lindseyover Jerry Jeudy. I like the Tide's combination of Tua Tagovailoa and Mac Jones at quarterback more than the dynamic Tate Martell. And at running back, Najee Harris is one of the top four most gifted backs I’ve ever seen, which gives Alabama the edge despite how much I like J.K. Dobbins.

On defense, the edge goes to the Buckeyes at defensive back with a great group led by five-star Shaun Wade while the Tide have the edge at linebacker with Vandarius Cowan,Markail Benton and newly committed Dylan Moses. Ohio State gets the edge at defensive line with Chase Young and Haskell Garrett as the 1-2 punch but Alabama has more athletes and versatile players overall.

It’s tight and the Tide have a shot at many more difference makers down the stretch to increase their lead. But when it comes to classes that could impact the national title picture, both programs are assembling that kind of talent.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News