ADVERTISEMENT

NIL Moving Forward

UncleRicoOSU

Junior
Gold Member
Aug 5, 2022
Everyone familiar with SCLA from LR/11W knows he chooses his words very carefully. And these are the words he chose to describe the main guy spearheading our NIL efforts.

“Brian Schottenstein causes Gene Smith to cringe as reliably as he does anyone involved with high-level college athletics. There is not a more discordant NIL union in the P5 than Brian Schottenstein and Ohio State. It is functionally impossible to have a more esteemed program aligned with a less respected individual. I work with client brands who simply refuse to do business with Brian Schottenstein. They do not trust him, and they do not want to be affiliated with him in any form or fashion. There is no half-measured, polite, coy way to otherwise articulate this: He is a known loser. There is no benefit to any association with him, and he does Ohio State an enormous disservice by continuing to place his insecurities and ego over the strategic priorities of the program”

I doubt this is particularly surprising to most people, but blunt nonetheless. Clearly we are going to have to adapt moving forward and I’m curious how that is going to look. Is this a situation where the university and staff truly dislike Brian that much but feel they have no choice but to work with him??

I know we also have The Cohesion Foundation who seem to have a better reputation but couldn’t be more invisible if they tried. They have 350 followers on Twitter and certainly don’t seem to have any interest in letting people know they exist. If I donate any more money it will likely be going to them. I just wish they would be a little more vocal and maybe drown out The Foundation’s embarrassing twitter meltdowns.

I imagine for us to be competitive it will have to involve more big time boosters coming to the table and not just crowdsourcing donations. I think we are all hoping this will be “figured out” by the next cycle so we don’t have a repeat of this year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News