ADVERTISEMENT

Offensive skill position recruiting - A few thoughts

TBone8

Sophomore
Jan 11, 2005
We're still a few weeks away from signing day, but OSU's big recruiting wins yesterday have me thinking big picture about this class and specifically about our offensive skill positions. (For what it's worth, I'm sure linemen hate the term "skill position.")

- We talk about this every year, but when Urban either doesn't land a commitment from a top recruit or even sees a Buckeyes recruit de-commit from the program, he rarely if ever fails to replace him with someone on par or better. In 2016, we saw Tristen Wallace, Kareem Walker, and Terrell Hall walk away from their OSU commitments. And honestly, today, the only one I'd say we'd love to have back is Hall, as he could develop into a 3-technique in our defense. Walker was immediately replaced by Antonio Williams whose stock is on the rise while Walker's is falling. And Wallace's void has been filled by Haskins. While they are similarly ranked players, and some would argue that Wallace was a better fit for our offense, I'm not sure you can say anyone is a great fit to play QB in our offense when the recruit himself isn't sure if he's meant to play QB at the collegiate level. Haskins is confident and motivated to improve. Urban has done it again.

- The backs and receivers we're recruiting remind me a bit of our incredible 2013 class. Remember watching as our staff worked to convince Zeke, Jalin, and Dontre that they all fit together on the same offense? Landing those 3 was like winning the play maker lottery. This year, we have a true RB in Williams, a speed back/H-back in McCall, a possession receiver in Mack, a rangy deep threat in Victor, and we're still talking to Bruce and Hardman who would be electric from the slot. It seems that we're finding competitive young men who welcome the idea of competing for playing time, but it's also important to show them how they will fit in with unique roles.

- With Haskins joining the program, there is certainly the assumption that we'll be looking to evolve away from a read-option based system in the coming years. We'll certainly have the talent at WR and even at TE to showcase a more advanced passing offense. But I personally wonder who on our staff will lead that charge. Is it Warinner? Or can we find a QB coach who will help to install a more advanced passing scheme?

- Our program is in need of a new wave of TE talent. Well look what we have here... Hausmann, Farrell, and Hawkins. I think they will give Warinner the flexibility and diverse skillsets he needs from the position for years to come.

- It's a great day to be a Buckeye! There's only 1 football to go around, so I hope these young pups learned to share as children.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News