ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Chili for a Chilly Day

SilverBuck

Junior
Aug 25, 2015
It's going to be cold and maybe snowy tomorrow, at least where I live. Seems like a great day to watch football and make a pot of chili.

I'm going to make a batch and thought I'd share the recipe, in case anyone might be looking for a new version. The recipe is my mom's. I've been eating this chili for about 50 years, LOL. Mom was a huge Buckeye fan. She'd be happy to know that maybe some other Buckeyes made her chili. The chili never had a name, just "chili". However, I'm going to name it Jeane's Damn Good Buckeye Chili.

This chili is not all that thick, at least the first day. I'd probably call it "medium" on the thickness scale. If you like it really thick, you might add more beef or beans or maybe a little less water. I usually add a sliced up jalapeno (maybe a red Fresno pepper so there is no confusion with the green pepper) but the chili is plenty spicy to start with.

Jeane’s Damn Good Buckeye Chili
1# or a little more ground beef
2 large onions, diced
1 green pepper, diced
1 large can of tomatoes (28 oz, diced)
2 small cans (15.5 oz.) of chili beans
1 can tomato soup
1 can tomato sauce (8 oz.)
1 T salt + “some” black pepper
1 T chili powder (prefer Mexene)
1 t cumin or a little more
1 t sugar or a little more
Dried garlic chips – start with 1 T and add more to suit
Dried crushed red pepper, as above
Hungarian paprika, sweet or hot, 1 T

Fry ground beef and drain well. Brown onions and peppers and combine with beef. Add tomato soup, then add all the spices and mix well. Add beans, tomato sauce and tomatoes. Add one large can (28 oz. tomato can) of water. Bring to near boil and then simmer for at least 4-5 hours. Taste occasionally and adjust spice amounts as desired.

Enjoy with a grilled cheese or peanut butter sandwich, while you watch the Bucks!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News