ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Mobile phone upgrade

mexicola

Freshman
Aug 17, 2015
Keller, TX
So let me state I have not purchased a mobile phone for myself since ~1998. I have had them all for work and just have asked my IT person for a new one ~2yrs.

Either way, my company's phone plan has changed and they have now given us a $75 allowance per month, however we are on our own the plans we have. So to make things easy, I jumped on my wife's plan who is on with her parents.

So asked the kids what they wanted to get Mommy for MD and they said a new iphone. Since I have recently moved my phone to my in laws family's plan I felt it would be best to call AT&T to inquire about upgrades.

They told me all phones on our plan would be eligible for an upgrade, we just had to pay the tax on a new phone. Knowing this, I proceeded into my local store to pick one up. After arriving a sales consultant got me the phone, and then told me the had a ipad special for $10 per month and $99 down. Also told me I could upgrade my S7 to an S8 and immediately get a $200 credit.

I am thinking I am getting a deal of a lifetime. Two new phones for tax (~$110)+ $99 + $240 less a $200 credit. So all in I was out the door for ~$250. Not until repeating all of the stated cost to him upon checkout did he tell me I would also being paying $25 per month per phone for 30 months in additional phone fees, so another $1500. On top of that and reading the statement, there were $45 activation fees

WTF? Am I this clueless about new phone upgrades? I put it all back, and was pissed it was presented to me in this fashion. Especially after he told me his only goal was to help me save money and have a great experience.

Is there a better option to upgrade a new phone outside of spending ~$800?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News