ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Need some recommendations from our West Coasters

RyanDonnelly

Recruiting Analyst
Apr 13, 2014
Somewhere in North Campus
Hello all, I was looking to crowdsource a little advice on a trip I'm planning to take out west in 2017. I'm hope Kevin doesn't mind the thread too much, but we've got a wealth of guys here on BuckeyeGrove living out west that the Pitt board can't match.

I dove right into full time work immediately after graduating college and never took the chance to do a post-grad trip anywhere so I'm trying to organize plan for late February/early March to travel out west during the recruiting lull. I'm going to road trip from Columbus all the way out west and I'm trying to hit as many national/state parks as I can. I have other plans over the summer to see Acadia in Maine and some other spots in Tennessee and Michigan, but I'm trying to hit the great ones out west for this trip. Here's the plan:

I have a friend in Lawrence, KS and a cousin in Denver, CO that I'm stopping by to see on the trip out instead of doing the whole drive in one day. Denver is going to be my launching-off point. I have one fixed date in mind that I'd like to make, which is a concert at the House of Blues in Anaheim on March (Anderson .Paak is playing and he's amazing if you haven't listened to him). Beyond that, I'm trying to hit a huge loop and hit as many places as I can. I have quite a few ideas in mind of what I want to see, but I'm looking for advice on anything I should add or remove. Here are my (ambitious, I know) plans as they stand:

- Rocky Mountain National Park, Colorado
- Arches National Park, Utah
- Zion National Park, Utah
- Grand Canyon National Park, Arizona
- Las Vegas, Nevada (another friend here, definitely making the stop)
- Red Rock National Conservation Area, Nevada
- Joshua Tree National Park, California
- Anaheim, California - March 2nd - Anderson Paak concert
- Santa Barbara, California (another friend, planning to stay here one night)
- Santa Cruz, California (another, planning to stay here one night)
- Pacific Coast Highway in between these two?
- Big Sur State Park, California
- Sequoia National Park, California
- Yosemite National Park, California
- Lake Tahoe, California
- Salt Lake City, Utah
- Grand Teton National Park, Wyoming
- Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming

The likelihood of me hitting all of these is pretty small. I'm probably most willing, before talking to any of you guys, to cut Joshua Tree, Sequoia, Salt Lake, and the two Wyoming stops. What are the recommendations? What do I need to see or stop at, what's overrated and worth skipping?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.