ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Thoughts in a winning culture and losing

V-BCoach

All-conference
Gold Member
Aug 20, 2015
I would love to hear everyone's thoughts on a losing and winning culture, especially in high school sports. I am going to coach this year at a school that has not had too much success over the last 4 decades. I am not positive, but I think they have had 3 winning seasons since 1980. So I am looking into how to change that and what needs to be done in order to be successful there. Please post your thoughts, experiences, and any resources you think would be helpful.

Here is what I think so far. First off, it is high school. I can't "recruit" my players. So while a lot of the college stuff is useful, it doesn't always apply. So trying to win when you don't always have the best talent it tough. I have done that and did it two years ago. We won our league and made the playoffs with only one kid who went on to play college football (UD, so no scholarship kids). So I have experience in that and know how to work that way.

Second, it obviously is a mentality, or culture, thing. You always here coaches say "change the culture". Well, how do I get that started with a group who has only know one culture forever?

It is the offseason, so I thought this would also just be a neat thread to look at. Don't feel like it just has to be about football. That video on Geno from UConn is good stuff for me. I want to know about winnning, not just winning football.

Reactions: Buckny and puplman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.