ADVERTISEMENT

Outlook for 2018 – 2014 Redux? (Channeling Texan)

BJHofkin

Junior
Sep 20, 2007
TL;DR: I think we have a team coming back that can win it all next year; a lot comes down to whether the 2017 recruiting class can have the same kind of impact next year that the 2013 class had in 2014.

I'm frankly sick of talking about why we should or shouldn't have made the playoff, and I'm annoyed but not crushed like I was in 2015 to miss out this year. I'll be excited to punish Southern Cal in the bowl game – but I'm even more excited thinking about next season.

So as Belichick would say, ON TO 2018!

OFFENSE

QB
Impossible not to at least touch on Barrett here. JT is one of my favorite Buckeyes of all time. He has accomplished more than any Buckeye QB ever. His leadership, toughness, running ability, and sheer nose for the W will be sorely missed – and anyone who can't see that is incredibly spoiled.

That said, Barrett is and always has been limited as a passer – and as a result (among other factors, of course) our offense has over the past few years been unable to CONSISTENTLY reach its potential against good competition.

With Haskins, we'll lose JT's running ability and facility with the zone read, and I'm cognizant of our insiders' cautioning us that Haskins can put the ball in harm's way.

But you'd have to be blind not to see that Haskins has the potential to be a far better PASSER than JT ever was – and his performance in relief in the Michigan game shows me he has IT. Furthermore, I suspect Haskins' limitations as a runner may actually be salutary in convincing Urban that we simply have to move away from a QB-run-based offense and toward the sort of scheme that actually fits much better with Wilson and Day.

I'd be very surprised if, with a full offseason as presumptive starter, Haskins doesn't give our passing game a higher ceiling next year.

Depth is a concern. I'm expecting Burrow to transfer, unfortunately, and Tate will still be very young. Haskins simply needs to stay healthy, and boy would it be nice to hang onto Emory Jones.

OL
Losing Jones and Price will hurt. Full stop. But we do have 3 returning quality starters (more if you count both Bowen and Knox) – and, for the first time in a bunch of years, I feel good about our depth across the board. And there is certainly no lack of young talent. If a guy like Munford is ready to play next year, that'll be huge.

If there's a concern, to me it's LT. We've been blessed with 5 yrs of Decker and Jones, and that's the one position where you can't just assume someone will step in. Who takes over there? Prince? Jordan? Pridgeon? MUNFORD? Will be one of the more interesting positions to watch.

Overall, I see OL as a question mark but not a major concern. I think it's reasonable to expect that, by late next season, our OL should be playing at a level similar to this year's – which on balance has been very good.

RB
Would be great if Weber comes back – but even if he doesn't I expect our backs to be even better than this year and a strength of the team. Dobbins is clearly special – and if he makes the sort of jump between freshman and sophomore years that Zeke made (NOT to be taken for granted) then look the F out. Seems like Snead could be another one of those guys that can play right away, and Williams and Teague should provide quality depth.

WR
In a sneaky way, there's as much up in the air here as with any unit on the team.

If Campbell and Hill return, the receivers could be incredible. If they don't, Victor better be ready to take a step forward. Hopefully Dixon can stay healthy. At least we know Mack's a player.

Man oh man would it be great for Grimes to come back to school and fulfill his potential at OSU.

LOTS up in the air here – high ceiling and maybe a low floor.

TE
Berry has shown flashes – and Ruckert appears to be our best TE recruit since…? Hopefully Hausmann, Farrell, and or Alexander can step up. Something just tells me Ruckert will be next year's Dobbins, though…

DEFENSE

DL
The DL is clearly where we lose the most off of this year's team – and yet I still think it looks like the strength of the team next year. Just unbelievable how we've recruited; even the DT's, who haven't been nearly as highly rated as the DE's, have basically all turned out to be players.

Bosa, Young, and Cooper at DE, with a few stud freshmen (hopefully…) providing depth? Yes, please!

I'm a little more concerned about DT, but Landers is back, Garrett showed promise before getting hurt, and Hamilton and Cornell were in the rotation this year. Hopefully Barrow can contribute as well. And of course we have the nation's top-rated DT coming in. I think we'll be fine.

LB
A major and surprising weakness for much of this year; inexplicably played excellent ball against the Badgers. Tons of talent and even more question marks.

Worley is gone, Baker is likely gone, who knows about Booker. Borland is clearly a player, Harrison has played but hardly locked down a starting spot, and then you have very highly rated guys like Hilliard and Jones who have yet to do anything at all.

This is one of two position groups (see secondary below) where I think we might need a couple 2017/2018 guys to blow up if we're going to be a championship-caliber team. Maybe Werner, maybe Mitchell in the middle like Raekwon.

But I have a feeling that, if we have a championship-caliber defense in 2018, Baron Browning will be a key part of it.

Lots to be concerned about here – but also lots of reason for optimism because of how we've recruited.

Secondary
Similar to LB, except 3 solid-if-unspectacular established starters – and even MORE young talent. Like with Browning at LB – who I think can be a bigger Darron Lee – I think guys like Okudah, Wade, Pryor and Riep can be and frankly SHOULD be 2018–19's versions of Apple, Bell, etc.

I know it's always dangerous to say something like this before actually seeing it, but with the way we've recruited DB's – combined with our proven track record for developing first-round draft picks – I'd frankly be surprised if we didn't wind up with a dominant secondary in 2018.

SPECIAL TEAMS

You thought I'd forget!

Let's just say there's no excuse, with the athletes we have, not to clean up the kickoff coverage team and not to have a stable of dangerous kick returners.

SUMMARY

Key points:
  • I think our passing game SHOULD take a step forward with Haskins. Should.
  • We will be inexperienced in some places, especially on defense – but our most inexperienced units are also where we've recruited some of our most elite talent.
  • We've recruited and established depth at positions we previously lacked it – and we'll need that depth next year.
While it doesn't look like there will be quite as many openings for young guys next year as there were in 2014, there will be PLENTY of opportunities for the 2017 studs to start building a similar legacy to that of the 2013 class. Dobbins has already established himself as a, if not the, focal point of our offense next year, and there will be a bunch of spots open at OL, WR, DL, and especially LB and secondary positions for our elite young talent to step in and take over. Young, Browning, Okudah, Wade, Pryor, etc. – if we are going to compete for the title in 2018, those and/or others will have to become household names a la Bosa, Lee, Apple, Bell, etc. (with Mr. Dobbins already playing the role of Elliott).

And as I've made clear throughout this post, I believe that's exactly what's going to happen.

Um, thoughts?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.