ADVERTISEMENT

Please Join Me in Supporting Kevin and Marc's Annual Southern Swing (LINK Added)

texanbuckeye

Black Titanium Member
Gold Member
Jan 12, 2003
We now have a link where donations can be made - https://www.youcaring.com/marcgivlerkevinnoonbuckeyegrovetravelfund-781083

Thanks to BMusic and others who helped sort this out.

Friends,

Last year, Kevin and Marc snuck into Houston unannounced as part of the annual Southern Swing. I had never met Kevin or Marc before their visit here. But like many of you, I suspect...I felt like we had been very good friends for many years. I was ecstatic that they came to my town and I insisted on getting them each their own room at a nice hotel here. And then I took them to one of my favorite restaurants for dinner.

I wanted to thank them for all that they were doing for all of us every day, by continually providing all of us with this amazing Buckeye content.

Through the course of several conversations that I have had with them ever since... I was finally able to convince them to let me initiate a "100% VOLUNTARY Grove Board / More Content Fund" and give everyone a chance here to be a sponsor - primarily for the Southern Swing - but also for other Grove endeavors as well (to help support the additional, but necessary, travel to other camps, national talent evaluation events, as well as national high school games, throughout the entire year).

One thing I have come to realize (especially since Urban Meyer has taken over) is how national our recruiting (and therefore the Grove's coverage) has become over the past few years. Even 6-7 years ago, Marc and Kevin could hit the key Ohio football games on a Friday night, then occasionally drive to PA, Indiana, or the Chicago area to cover most of our prospects. Now (on the same budget) we expect them to cover the "traditional Southern Swing states" of Georgia and Florida with a greater level of detail (now that we have deep and true state-wide recognition in both states). But additionally... they also need to get to the entire northeast, Virginia, Maryland, DC, the Carolina's, as well as, to Texas, Oklahoma, Nevada (Bishop Gorman) California (St John Bosco) and maybe even to Idaho this year...

To get the REAL insights they obtain from guys like Cam Akers, Vonn Bell, Trevon Grimes, Big Marv, Jeffrey Okudah and Shaun Wade etc... (as well their parents and coaches) Marc and Kevin have got to be able to put faces with the names (and vice versa). They cannot get us the content we have grown to expect - hunkered down in Ohio, just calling and texting people they don't know very well - repeatedly (as many of their competitors do). They must get on the road first and really get to know the 2018, 2019 and 2020 prospect's "tree of relationships" as early as possible in the process. Once Marc and Kevin can initiate, develop and maintain all of the key relationships, the subsequent trust is established...and THEN, Marc primarily, is able to get all of us the honest feedback and valuable insights...The truth!

The other the key component is that Marc and Kevin have now developed friendships and strong relationships with most of the nationwide high school football coaches at these "power - programs"...They need to keep the existing ones - at IMG, St Thomas Aquinas, and Bishop Gorman - but also establish new ones. I strongly suspect that their presence at these schools helps the OSU brand (How could it not?). If they are showing continual interest in these programs (in addition to the OSU coaching staff's presence) and consistently visiting all of the top programs throughout country - at least once or twice annually. I suspect that makes a helpful difference. We are all part of building the OSU / Buckeye-Nation brand!

I will tell you guys that it has been fascinating to watch first hand, OSU's deliberate and very effective branding effort in the state of Texas the past 3 years. I personally think Marc, Kevin and the Grove are actually a big part of supporting the recognition of the OSU brand nationwide.

So after last year, I told them that I would always sponsor the Southern Swing (which is now seemingly "The 40% of the country swing"). But I also asked them if they would PLEASE let me organize an ENTIRE BOARD SPONSORSHIP:

Here are my thoughts:

* I want to try to raise at least $10,000 (but I would love to get to $15,000) to start a fund that Kevin and Marc use (at their discretion) for all of these additional travel expenses needed to consistently be able to continue to bring us the best "live, real-time and face to face content".

* It was kind of funny at first... But really... I was ashamed that "our guys" are trying to do this greatly expanded trip on the same budget that they had when they first started (I don't remember the last time membership fees went up... but now they have expanded the coverage of SS to a 10x larger than the initial trips geography).

* They can't drive to all of these destinations anymore. They need to fly to most of them (fly to the region, set up home base, then spend 1-3 days traveling to every major program with top prospects within a 250-mile radius of the home base - then head to the next region). It is not a 6-7 day drive up and down I-75 anymore... Last year they drove more than 5,000 miles during the Southern Swing during the two week trip.

* I don't want them having to share the same small hotel room and stay in the same crappy hotels every night for 2.5 weeks… Working 17-19 hour days… Driving 10-14 hours overnight to make it in at 2 am for an 8 am interview the next morning... Eating 3 fast food meals in the car and on the run every single day... We need to help them put an end to that program.

* Not only are they operating on a shoestring and grossly outdated budget...But I know for a fact that have used their own personal funds - humbly and quietly - to go the extra mile for all of us to get us the best possible information and content.

* Marc and Kevin were reluctant to let me launch this (initially) because they wanted to make sure no one here thought that they were asking for any more money than the annual subscription fee that you all already pay.

* But, I told them that I knew for certain that there were many other posters here, that felt like I did and would jump in head-first at the idea of helping me (and hopefully many others) sponsor the Southern Swing with a donation (primarily used for all of the necessary travel expenses).

* Then I thought it would also be fun for Marc, Kevin and the board members in each community they travel to...to try to voluntarily host Kevin and Marc for a lunch, a happy hour or a dinner. Kevin and Marc really enjoy and want to meet all of the board members.

* So Marc and Kevin finally said, "You know... if we had these additional resources provided from this fund (like plane tickets instead of rental cars) then we could actually truly demonstrate that the extra money donated by the board, was giving us the ability to cover more of the country much more thoroughly…Since we would be able to greatly improve our traveling efficiency".

So the general fund outline would be this:

1) Whether you give now, or you are unable to (or simply don't want to give) at this time... either way... this is a gift from ALL of the board members (the entire Grove family) to The Grove staff. Not to Rivals. To The Buckeye Grove.

2) The funds from the gift will be used for whatever Kevin, Marc and the Grove team deem is needed. The primarily goal is for it to be a travel fund. But any extra funds that we raise, could be used to help us be able to retain a star like Ryan Donnelly (or other promising interns) in the future. Or...to help them obtain updated and better computers, cameras, phones and other equipment that ultimately would make the site better.

3) All of the funds we collectively donate will be ultimately used to get us more and better content. We already feel we get the best coverage out there, but this fund will be the catalyst behind an "agreement" with all of us and the Grove - to take the coverage to an even higher level. If we can help them relieve the stress of "how do we get to all of these destinations"... it will allow them to focus solely on getting us more and more content.

4) All of the gifts will be anonymous.

5) No gift is too small... and whether you give $20 or $1,000. We are going to combine all of our individual gifts into one lump sum gift from the board.

6) I would like to set this up as a kind of early March / Pre- Southern Swing Grove Annual Fund.

7) I am not an expert on how to set these type of funds up... but I hope it takes off like "The Alias Go Fund Me Drive". I am not exactly sure what the best way to go about collecting donations, be it something like GoFundMe (so if someone else has an idea that could help us make sure more of the money we raise for the gang gets to them - and does not go to a high % of administrative fees - please chime in).

8) I am not just going to be the cheerleader or the non-participating organizer. I am going to chip in a sizeable donation to get us started. And if and when Kevin, Marc (or KB, Nevada or any staff members) ever come to Houston...I will gladly get them each their own hotel room and take them out to lunch or dinner every year.

9) I think this will be an awesome endeavor and there will be a great return on our collective investment if a strong portion of us pitch in a bit and try to help reach the goal.

10) The 2017 Southern Swing is going to filled with a lot surprises. It is now covering a lot of the nation and it will change from year to year. But I think this "Grove Southern Swing Fund" will build our board camaraderie. It will provide some financial support to these increasingly expensive trips. And then lastly.. it will help The Grove continue to separate its content from both the Buckeye competition, as well as, the other team's sites.

I apologize for the long-winded note. Please let us know if you all are on board and want to participate. All of the gifts and the specific participation can be anonymous. And again...our goal is widespread board participation - rather than a few larger sponsorships.

The Grove is our chosen tribe. I see The Grove as "OUR BOARD"...It is our chosen extended Buckeye family. Please help me try to help Marc, Kevin, Ross, Nevada and Kirk keep the Grove at the very top. And also please help Marc and Kevin do the Southern Swing and all other national trips properly - not only just this year - but every year going forward.

Thank you all for your consideration my friends!

Texan

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.