ADVERTISEMENT

Scrimmage/Camp is over Report

NevadaBuck

Staff
Jun 20, 2001
Second Wiseman has some notes from the past few days, including Saturday’s scrimmage…

Today’s scrimmage was a ton of situations (coming out (-1 yard line), goal line, high red zone(30 yard line), low red (15 yard line). The offense, especially the 1’s, got the better of the defense today. The second defense did beat the mess out of our second crew, mostly due to the QB play and young OL…

Tomorrow is looking like the day starters are getting named internally. Ryan Day is mandating position coaches have one on one meetings to discuss where each player is at, post camp. That was a big Meyer thing, but he never did this individual meeting post camp. Honesty is the best policy with these kids and their giant egos, especially when they don’t win the starting gig…

FIELDS on the move

I know how important QB is to every season, and the last super hyped Justin we had at QB was a massive bust, so I always remind the 2nd Wiseman of that. He laughed at the comparison.

His scrimmage today cemented that JUSTIN FIELDS is the real deal. The craziest thing is he almost throws better on the run. He has been throwing some beautiful balls all camp. The 2nd Wiseman’s biggest worry? He gets spooked too easily. He hasn’t been for the most part but I’m just hoping he can learn to trust the offensive line more especially once Thayer is taking all of the one reps instead of Alibi (who obviously struggles versus Chase Young to a much higher degree than Thayer does. Alibi has had a very rough camp, so light a candle at church for Thayer’s back, ankle, knee, etc.)

THAYER MUNFORD Will once again be the key to our season, but he just needs to get in shape since he’s only been taking half the reps as everybody else. Training camp is a important for timing(ESPECIALLY in pass pro) and conditioning. Thayer could be a high draft pick after this year, as his pass blocking versus Rashan Gary already has him on the NFL radar...

On the 2nd RB behind JK front, it’s looking like MARCUS CROWLEY and STEELE CHAMBERS are the guys.

The 2nd Wiseman insists MARCUS CROWLEY is gonna be a “beast”this year. He just throws his “shit” into people all the time(I laughed as I wrote that on my notepad). Blocking too. Same demeanor.

STEELE CHAMBERS had a great week and capped it off by having some strong runs during the scrimmage today.

I asked the 2nd Wiseman who the best player in camp was. His answer?

I think KJ HILL. He’s gotten even better than last year in his routes. And he doesn’t drop anything. Ever...

But BIN VICTOR is definitely our go to for big plays and shot plays. Both are seeing Mike Thomas’ contract and thinking this football thing can be pretty lucrative…

I also asked him about JEREMY RUCKERT? His answer was surprising.

Yeah, he is fine, but LUKE FARRELL is the starter and has had a great camp. He’s gotten a lot better in the run game too. We won’t have a single problem running the ball this year. Not even because of Justin. We’ve been moving the line of scrimmage like crazy all camp.

Anyone making moves on defense?

Yep, MALIK HARRISON has been balling. And the young guys are really good too. CADE STOVER stood out to me the most in terms of getting to the ball and physicality…

And CHASE YOUNG is normally scary, but when Thayer is resting, he is a nightmare for Justin Fields...

As always, take it FWIW. This also might be the most expensive nugget I’ve done since dialing in from Europe usually leads to a nice up charge!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News