ADVERTISEMENT

Sorry, Mooch

blueinohio

Hall of Famer
Jul 11, 2001
PostEverything Perspective
Anthony Scaramucci is how you got Trump

Sorry, Mooch. It’s a bit late to cry woke.

Everything Trump Touches Dies: A Republican Strategist Gets Real About the Worst President Ever."
August 15 at 2:09 PM

If you even care at all, by now you’re caught up on the most-dramatic-rose-ceremony split between Anthony Scaramucci and President Trump: Friday on “Real Time with Bill Maher,” Scaramucci said there are “certain things” Trump has done “that are absolutely indefensible.” Trump lashed out Saturday at the apostasy with:

Donald J. Trump

✔@realDonaldTrump

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1160382091592384513

Anthony Scaramucci, who was quickly terminated (11 days) from a position that he was totally incapable of handling, now seems to do nothing but television as the all time expert on “President Trump.” Like many other so-called television experts, he knows very little about me.....

7:47 PM - Aug 10, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy

50.1K people are talking about this

On Sunday, Scaramucci, the former White House communications director, suggestedTrump is melting down, saying, “A couple more weeks like this” and Republicans will have to “replace the top of the ticket in 2020.”

On Monday, the president clapped back with:

Donald J. Trump

✔@realDonaldTrump

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1160997363177181188

Scaramucci, who like so many others had nothing to do with my Election victory, is only upset that I didn’t want him back in the Administration (where he desperately wanted to be). Also, I seldom had time to return his many calls to me. He just wanted to be on TV!

12:31 PM - Aug 12, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy

36.7K people are talking about this

And so it goes. As a card-carrying, O.G. never-Trump Republican, I’m almost tempted to cut Scaramucci some slack, welcome him to the fold and assure him that this was inevitable: His bromance with Trump could never last because Trump is an utterly faithless creature for whom support is never enough: Trump demands humiliation and subjugation, not counsel and insight. It only took Scaramucci’s mild chiding — that Trump’s unseemly response to the mass killings in El Paso and Dayton, including his recent visits to those cities, was a “catastrophe” — for Scaramucci to hop off (or be tossed from, depending on your point of view) the Trump train and dutifully sign up for The Resistance™.

But before Scaramucci gets his own #WokeMooch hashtag, let’s check his credentials.

Yes, he’s had it with Trump, but there’s something that grinds about the road-to-Damascus conversion narrative of the president’s former confidante and fellow New York blowhard. There’s a whiff of a reality-TV tease, the aroma of a pro-wrestling kayfabe, the faint stench of a canned I’m fired? No, you’re fired!melodrama, mostly because none of Trump’s character flaws were hidden from Scaramucci or anyone else in the enabler class: The short-fingered, short-tempered vulgarian occupying 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. didn’t just spring his semiliterate, Twitter-raging, race-baiting, self-declared-private-parts-grabbing, logic-averse, serial-lying and crony-coddling governing style last week — he’s been this guy all along. And Scaramucci, and his ilk, have defended him, touting his alleged brilliance every step of the way. Here’s a gem from Scaramucci’s introductory news conference, in the White House press briefing room, at the start of his ill-fated 11-day run as Trump’s communications director:

“I was in the Oval Office with him earlier today, and we were talking about letting him be himself, letting him express his full identity. I think he’s got some of the best political instincts in the world and perhaps in history. When you think about it he started his political ascent two years and two months ago, and he’s done a phenomenal job for the American people.”

Or a week later, on CNN:

“He’s our leader and one of the smartest people that I’ve ever met, if not the smartest. He’s just smart in a different way than maybe some of the people in the journalist community don’t like.”

It begs the question: Is Scaramucci on an all ‘shrooms and bootleg vodka diet? Does his circle of friends consist primarily of members of the Trump University dean’s list? Or is it more likely he always knew Trump was a trash-talking clod before getting behind him and later taking a West Wing job. Odds are that Scaramucci had seen Trump up close and personal, the president actively governing as a policy-allergic windbag, when “The Mooch” gave him all those glowing reviews. So before deciding whether to stamp or yank Scaramucci’s never-Trump card, it’s also worth asking: Was Scaramucci’s shtick performative then or is it performative now?

ADVERTISING

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.