ADVERTISEMENT

South Florida Update

Marc Givler

Hall of Famer
Jan 10, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Grime Time coming soon

In-coming Ohio State wide receiver Trevon Grimes lost a good chunk of senior season to a torn ACL and has been gradually working his way back towards one-hundred percent. We stopped by St. Thomas Aquinas High School on Thursday afternoon to catch up with the five-star prospect.

Grimes is on a great pace right now in his recovery. He is running and he is cutting. He told me today that last week he went full sprint for the first time, this week he is supposed to scale back to about 90-percent. He can't put full strain on everything in consecutive weeks as the knee is still recovering and it needs that every other week of less than full throttle to help him rebuild the strength in the knee.

Grimes is supposed to be fully cleared a month before fall camp starts and, much like Bosa, will be on a pitch count the first month or so of the season but could be completely unlimited by the middle of the season if everything continues to go well. Nick Bosa has been huge for him both from a mental support standpoint and in terms of giving him little tips on his recovery. Trevon will get texts from Nick with different stretches and things he can do to help him.

Trevon has the exact same training staff and medical people working with him on his recovery that Nick had, so there are a lot of parallels here.

American Heritage

Two of Ohio State's top three cornerback targets (along with Texan Anthony Cook) are located at South Florida powerhouse American Heritage. Rivals100 products Patrick Surtain Jr. and Tyson Campbell are two of the very best in the nation and I expect the Buckeyes to recruit both until the very end, regardless of what the rest of the defensive back board looks like and, quite frankly, regardless of what the chances appear to be of landing the two outstanding prospects.

We sat down with Surtain Jr. after practice, who had plenty of good things to say about his recent visit to Ohio State, most notably that he was impressed with the emphasis on life after football and how the program gets internships for its players. He mentioned that a lot of other schools either don't have programs like that in place or don't make them a highlight of the visit the way that Ohio State does.

Now I definitely feel like LSU leads and that FSU is probably running second. Ohio State, Clemson and Miami seem to be in that next level of schools and Surtain says he will 'definitely' be back to Columbus at some point. There are five-star guys out there that Ohio State has a better shot at landing (Cook for sure) but, this will be a player, much like Darnay Holmes last year where the numbers won't matter and they'll recruit him all the way until the end and let the chips fall where they may. Both Zach Smith and Kerry Coombs were at the school today and watched practice.

This was my first time seeing Surtain in person and it's pretty easy to see why he's not only rated a five-star prospect but has offers from essentially every relevant program in college football.

Surtain looks like Eli Apple. I don't mean he looks like Eli Apple when Eli was a high school junior. I mean he looks like New York Football Giants cornerback Eli Apple. Just a big, long-armed athletic kid that can play a physical brand of football.

Campbell was not at AH this afternoon for practice as he is getting ready to compete in the Florida State Track championships in Bradenton on Friday. Make no mistake, Campbell does not take a back seat here to Surtain. I'm told the Ohio State staff is just as high on Tyson as they are on Pat. Tyson will be another guy they keep recruiting no matter what.

While we weren't able to speak with Campbell today with him being on his way to his track meet, I have been told recently that the Buckeyes may have a better chance with him than Surtain. But many of the same usual suspects are involved here as with Surtain. Miami, LSU, Clemson are all serious players.

If you're Ohio State, you probably want these kids to go just about the distance. More time means more visits and more opportunities to interact with the kids and their families via in-home visits and fall trips to the school.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News