ADVERTISEMENT

Team Sport

todwfishSFA

Junior
Aug 17, 2015
Nacogdoches, Texas
I am a glass half-full type of guy and I was really encouraged Saturday, despite the offensive struggles. Great teams have the other areas pick it up when one unit is struggling. We saw it for YEARS with the Tressel coached teams, and see it every so often with Meyer's.

Our offense struggled. The play where Baugh and Price (I think) didn't block anyone when the play was there, if executed, pretty much summed up the day. IU controlled the field position well for the first half especially and that changes your play calling as a staff.

The other units picked it up though. Cam Johnston was great. He only had one mishap where he drilled it in the endzone; but other than that, he was flipping the field and helping out our D, especially when IU was controlling the field position. Our kicker looks solid and nailed his 37 yard FG attempt. He kicked one out of bounds, but that happens with that corner strategy. It seemed like the transfer from Duke did it twice a game last year, so I am much happier with our KO this year.

The defense played great. For the life of me, I could not figure out why Indiana was trying to get the edge when OSU is just way too fast for that. IU had some early success running, which led to hitting some passes and making Brock Huard just giddy. Then the Bucks shut them down from there, minus the 13 play drive I missed because I had to run to my office for a bit. Holding IU to FG after the fumble, and then eventually stopping them on downs deep in the RZ was a testament to our defense. They are tough. Malik Hooker is all-world, but my two favorites are Robert Landers and Jerome Baker. I love those guys, especially Landers. How about the play Burger made when he had to rush out on the field? He can play.

When the defense gave up the score, IU looked to have seized momentum by scoring late in the half before getting the ball first for the next. Then BOOM! Paris Campbell found a crease. That play was HUGE! Huard made a pretty good call discussing how great teams find a way to respond when they get hit in the mouth.

JT threw it like me yesterday, but found a way to be productive with his legs. Many of you/us don't like seeing him run it that much, and I would like to see Samuel get more than single-digit touches, and Wilson get more than a couple, but to quote Herm Edwards, "You play to win the game," and OSU took the surest path to victory (Tressel).

IU has the personality of their coach. He has the red ass all the time and they are tougher for it. Kevin Wilson is a darn good football coach and I applaud him for wanting to stay at IU and try to build.

This was a great learning experience for this young Buckeye team. They are going to roll Wiscy!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News