ADVERTISEMENT

Football Recruiting Wednesday Notebook

Marc Givler

Hall of Famer
Jan 10, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
So much going on right now behind the scenes. This could all be out-dated by tonight with all of the moving parts we're dealing with right now. Here's where things are at as of this afternoon.....

- Spent a good part of the morning talking to as many people as possible about last night's in-home visit with Rashard Lawrence. If anything, the in-home was more geared towards the Lawrence family, specifically mom. As I've posted before, there is a sense from some that Rashard is interested in maybe being a little different than the other kids from his area who all go to LSU or Alabama. But there is a pull to stay close to home and there are definitely those around Lawrence who would prefer that.

I'm told the visit went over very well with the family. I don't know if it will be enough. This would be one of the more impressive recruiting victories for Ohio State that I could remember and I'm going to stick with LSU for now, especially with Les Miles getting the last crack before Friday's decision but Ohio State has made this interesting.

This is not BS to sell subscriptions or to get clicks. We don't play those games here, we told you months ago to stop worrying about Rashan Gary when it would have been far better for business to drag that one out and keep his face on our front page down the stretch. The interest here is real.

Win or lose, Larry Johnson has done a phenomenal job here.

- This afternoon, most of the buzz is surrounding Urban Meyer and Zach Smith's visit to South Florida to check on Sam Bruce (Meyer will have an in-home with Nick Bosa tonight). No official word yet, but hearing great things right now about Ohio State's chances of getting a flip here.

From the source I trust most on this particular recruitment.....

"I think he goes there (Ohio State). Torrance (Gibson) was down here about two weeks ago and was recruiting the **** out of Sam."

If things are going to go Ohio State's way here, I think they'll move pretty quickly. I don't think this will go to Signing Day if it's going to be good news for the Buckeyes. Spots are getting tight and Meyer is going to want an answer, especially when talking about another wide receiver which at this point is a luxury and not a need.

- Ed Warinner has been getting a hell of a look at the New Jersey Turnpike the last couple of days. He's been all over the Garden State, Eastern PA, and NYC. Today's agenda included Bergen Catholic, Don Bosco (OL Liam Fornadel), St. John Vianney (OL Micah Clark), St. Peter's Prep (OL Ben Petrula), Passaic Tech (OL Carter Warren) and Brooklyn Poly Prep (OL Isaiah Wilson)

All of these stops were for the purposes of underclassmen.

- Dropped a note on big-time 2017 RB Cam Akers yesterday on the board and have a little more today. Ohio State has never given up on Akers after he committed to Alabama over the summer and Akers has never stopped communicating with the coaching staff, most notably Tony Alford. Alford and Meyer stopped by Akers' school yesterday as Meyer was on the way to his in-home with Rashard Lawrence.

Despite the Bama pledge, the family continues to be impressed with Ohio State's persistence and it could pay off with another visit (he was on campus last summer for Friday Night Lights).

"We will be there, maybe in the spring, but more likely in the summer," said Akers' father, Conni. "We're impressed with the effort Ohio State is putting in to recruit Cam. They aren't relying on their name solely as a tool. They are all action."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.