ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling update: Friday night

Dar.of.Emur

Sophomore
Aug 11, 2015
Ohio
Ohio State was at Indiana tonight. Won easily.

125: Nathan Tomasello (still ranked #1) won easily. Beat the #19 kid from Indiana, major decision. 17-5. Never really had any trouble. Still wrestling great. But so is #2 Gillman at Iowa. Should be interesting matchups at B1G championships and nationals.

133: Johnny Dijulius (ranked #8) won 7-0. But, got rode for a good portion of the match.

141: Micah Jordan (ranked #4) won by injury/concussion. He was dominating the kid, then he (the Indy kid) got injured/concussion protocol and could not continue. Micah is really wrestling well and I foresee him surprising in March.

149: Ughhh. Hunter Steiber (#11) lost to unranked (but pretty good) Luke Blanton. Hunter got in with a few shots, but just cant finish. Its saddens me to watch him, as he still is a shell of his former self. This is a kid that was, in his true sophomore year, undefeated going into the national semifinals (losing a very close match to Mitchell Port of Edinboro, which I still say the kid got away with stalling at the end). I dont know if his arms are just not what they used to be, after the double Tommy John surgery, or if the (basically) two years away from the mat has been too tough. I really hope he just needs to get back in the swing of things. But time is running out.

157: Jake Ryan (#14) did not wrestle. Not sure why. Justin Kresevic wrestled for us. He was doing very well early with two first period takedowns, and had a good lead going into the third. Looked like he hit a wall, and had zero left for the last 1:30. The Indiana kid got two late takedowns for the lead and the win.

165: Bo Jordan (#2) beat his opponent pretty easily. Bo is just a monster, and is so strong for his weight class. His next major challenge should be in the B1G finals against his cousin, who beat him in the B1G finals last year.

174: Match of the night: Myles Martin (#15, and true frosh) beat Nate Jackson (#8). Of note Nate Jackson recently beat #1 ranked Bo Nickal of Penn State. Great match. Myles got a 1st period takedown, then just missed a late takedown at the end of the 1st. Myles was up 3-2 after the standard 2nd and 3rd period escapes. Nate got a nice takedown in the middle of the 3rd for a 4-3 lead. But Myles escaped to tie it 4-4, then got a late takedown that sealed the win. Thought Myles was the better wrestler. He should move up in the rankings after this. He, like Micah Jordan, is under-rated, and I see him finishing as All American this year.

184: Kenny Courts (#13) wrestled well and won big.

197: Backup Josh Fox lost a close match 3-2.

Hwy: Nick Tavenello won convincingly, 8-2. Of note Kyle Snyder is in Russia wrestling a tourney this week. But, he will wrestle for us next week vs Penn State.

We have a meet on Sunday vs Purdue. We should also win big.
Then next Friday, we are at Penn State, on B1G Network. 6 PM eastern. Tune in, lots of good matchups, especially at 125 (#1 Tomessello vs #4 Megaludis), 132 (#8 DiJulius vs #5 Connoway), 141 (#4 M Jordan vs #14 Gulibon), 174 (#1 Bo Nickal vs #15 Myles Martin... Myles lost to him 4-3 or 5-4 earlier in the year. Dont let the rankings fool you, should be good match).

149 #11 Hunter Stieber vs #1 Zain Retherford is a good matchup on paper, but not sure Steiber will be even ranked in top 20 after his loss tonight. We will know what Hunter has left in the gas tank after next week vs Retherford. If he can compete, then maybe he can step it up over the next 45 days and compete for the podium. If not, then I will appreciate how good he was as a true frosh and sophomore, and admire how tough he was/is trying to wrestle without elbows last year and gutting out some wins in the B1G championships to help us tie Iowa for first place. True buckeye through and through.

Penn State should win at 157 (#1 Nolf is a monster. He should beat our #14 Ryan easily. Hope I am wrong). 184 #9 McCutheon should beat #13 Courts. and 197 #1 McItosh should destroy whoever we send out there.

We should win big at 165 (#2 Bo Jordan over #17 Rasheed) and at Hwy where Kyle Snyder will kill whoever Penn State puts on the mat.

I think we win only 4 (Tomasello, both Jordans and Snyder.). Penn State is just too tough this year and should win another national championship.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News