• 30 year fixed rates in the mid 2’s; 15 year fixed rates below 2%
  • 3,000+ 5 star reviews
  • A+ rating on the Better Business Bureau
  • Nearly 100 Grove members have closed with JFQ
  • Free appraisal covered by JFQ
  • Email info@jfqlending.com or PM AZBuckeye6 for a free mortgage review
Joseph Hastings’ Report

Quick update on Tristan Leigh

Roughly three hours ago, I received the following message from Laura Rigney, mother of five-star OT target Tristan Leigh.

“We are planning on going,” Rigney said in reference to the Buckeye Bash on Oct. 24.

This is huge news for the event, which is organized by Ohio State’s commits and will be held at longtime pledge Jack Sawyer’s house. Leigh has already taken a trip up to Columbus, but it was imperative that the family takes at least another visit before he eventually commits.

Speaking of which, Rigney told me that she believes her son wants to announce his decision at the All-American Bowl, which will be on Jan. 2. That gives the Buckeyes plenty of time to continue to recruit Leigh and try to steal some momentum away from LSU and Oklahoma.

Leigh recently posted a photo of him working out in Ohio State gear, and he actually trains with former Buckeye Matthew Burrell. Ohio State definitely wouldn’t be my choice as of today, but there is well over two months left to go in this one.

Rivals100 DB Derrick Davis could be at the Buckeye Bash

I once again had an opportunity to catch up with Derrick Davis Sr., father of Rivals100 DB target Derrick Davis. A full story will be released tomorrow, though I did want to talk a little bit more about our conversation.

Davis Sr. mentioned the upcoming Buckeye Bash. He told me that they are looking into attending the event, which will be held on Oct. 24, but it all depends on Gateway’s team schedule. They haven’t played in three weeks due to COVID-19-related issues, so there is uncertainty about when the rest of their games will be played.

Along with Ohio State, Davis Sr. said his son wants to take trips to Georgia and LSU before he commits in a few weeks. He noted that they may step foot on Penn State’s and Pittsburgh’s campuses, but those wouldn’t be planned too heavily since they can occur anytime of the week.

Speaking directly about the Buckeyes, the school is perceived to be the No. 2 school in Davis’ recruitment behind Penn State. Davis Sr. says his son is still in the evaluation process and has not made a decision, but opened up about why Ryan Day’s program is in his top five.

“They’re in the top five because they’ve been recruiting him heavily since the ninth grade, actually,” Davis Sr. said. “They’ve always kept that relationship with him. It has nothing to do with me… that’s the relationship they’ve built with him. I’m from Ohio, but it’s more or less they’ve continuously been there with him through this process.”

I believe Ohio State is in this one more than people think, but I’m still giving the Nittany Lions the edge right now.

Malone on why Ohio State is not in his top six

Just like Jaylin Davies, Raesjon Davis and other prospects, we won’t bring recruits up in Skull Sessions unless there is legitimate mutual interest between them and the Buckeyes.

The same goes with Malone, but I did want to bring him up one more time since he mentioned Ohio State in a recent interview. While speaking with Rivals’ recruiting analyst Adam Friedman, Malone went in-depth on his top six and why OSU, the perceived favorite for him, was left off the list.

"The big key was the baseball part of things," Malone said about his reason for not listing the Buckeyes as a finalist. "I really haven't been talking to Ohio State's baseball program as much as these other schools. Coach Day, coach Johnson, and I were calling and texting a lot and that's what I really liked about Ohio State but, like I said, baseball is a big thing in my recruitment and that was making it tough."

We’re not really too surprised here, though it is still a disappointment from the football side of things. Malone was offered by Day and company back in May 2019, and a lot of time was spent recruiting him.

Unfortunately, unless baseball head coach Greg Beal and his staff make a strong late push for him, Malone will be not be strapping up the pads as a Buckeye at the next level.

2022 TE nets an offer from the Buckeyes

A few weeks ago, I was fully expecting Rivals250 tight end Benji Gosnell to commit to Ohio State. After a conversation with him and speaking with a source, Gosnell appeared to be set to join forces with the Buckeyes at some point in September, which led to me submitting a FutureCast prediction in favor of the program back on Aug. 23.

Two weeks ago, however, Gosnell told GatorsTerritory’s Corey Bender that Florida is in the lead for his services. He has taken notice of the production of Kyle Pitts’ – who has seven touchdowns in three games – and also has a prior connection with their tight ends coach, Tim Brewster.

Kevin Wilson and the rest of Ohio State’s staff could be getting the feeling that Gosnell is trending away from the school, and recently decided to offer another tight end in next year’s class.

Yesterday, the Buckeyes gave the green light to Georgia-based junior Oscar Delp, who is a three-star prospect. It’s easy to see why Ohio State would offer him at this juncture as he had six receptions for 205 yards and a pair of touchdowns just over a week ago. On the season, he’s averaging 23.2 yards per reception.

Delp told me tight ends coach Kevin Wilson offered him, and Wilson envisions Delp and commit Bennett Christian being a good one-two punch at the next level. The 6-foot-5, 218-pounder also mentioned he has visited Ohio State once before, so he’s familiar with the campus already.

A full story on Delp will be up tomorrow but, in the meantime, you can check out his 2020 highlights so far HERE.

Andy Anders’ Report

Kamari Ramsey building relationship with Ohio State, UCLA now among top schools

This week, I got the chance to check in with Kamari Ramsey, and while his search for the school he’ll attend hasn’t narrowed, there is an update to make to the list.

In addition to the list he provided me a month ago -- one that included Ohio State, USC, Virginia Tech, Arizona State, Washington, Oregon and Stanford -- the No. 73 prospect in the class of 2022 said UCLA is now in the hunt as well.

“Great program, great location, and a place of opportunity,” Ramsey said about UCLA.

As far as Ohio State is concerned, Ramsey told me he and the Buckeyes are talking “maybe” once per week.

I followed up and asked how he feels about his relationship with the program, and he said he feels as though he’s built a solid one with the staff in Columbus.

It seems to me that Ohio State is slow playing his recruitment at this point, and that honestly makes sense since I don’t believe Ramsey will pare his list down until he can take visits. He added he doesn’t have a timeframe in mind for when he’ll go to schools yet.

As far as what he and the Buckeyes discuss, he had this to say:

“We talk about school, football and even what’s going on in our lives.”

Top-40 2022 prospect Caden Curry has developed strong relationship with Ohio State

One of the biggest targets along the defensive line for Ohio State, four-star defensive end Caden Curry, told me Thursday that his relationship with the Buckeyes has continued growing very well over the past several months.

Curry’s recruitment is still open at this point, but he mentioned that Ohio State, Clemson and Florida are among the biggest standouts.

“Just some of those teams that I talk to a lot, that talk to me a lot, that really helps,” Curry said. “Really puts them out farther because they’ve talked to me a lot more and I’ve learned a lot about the programs.”

Alabama and Oregon are also heavily involved, Curry said.

It’s difficult for Curry to cut his list down at this time because he still hasn’t taken trips to any college campuses. I would anticipate those visits to start coming down the hatch once they’re allowed again.

What is clear from our phone call and previous reporting, however, is that his relationship with Ohio State is very strong.

I’ll have a full article on my conversation with Curry, including what’s he working to develop this season and much more information on his relationship with Ohio State, going up tomorrow at 11 a.m., so be on the lookout for that.

Commits in action:

By Andy Anders and Joseph Hastings

Over a half-dozen Ohio State commits were on bye weeks, but we still have stats from several Buckeyes who took the gridiron on Friday and Saturday.

Andre Turrentine: Stats: Had a touchdown reception prior to leaving the game with a minor ankle injury

Team Result: (W) 45-25

Donovan Jackson: Stats: Five pancake blocks

Team Result: (L) 10-49

Zen Michalski: N/A

Team Result: (W) 55-13

Bennett Christian: Stats: One catch for 12 yards

Team Result: (W) 37-0

Dasan McCullough: Stats: N/A

Team Result: (W) 34-27

Jyaire Brown and Tegra Tshabola: Stats: N/A

Team Result: (W) 44-0

Gabe Powers: Stats: Rushed for 109 yards

Team Result: (W) 35-14

Kyle McCord: Stats: Three passing touchdowns in the first half (one of 58 yards, one of 38 yards and one of 19 yards)

Marvin Harrison Jr.: Stats: 38-yard receiving touchdown and 58-yard TD catch

Team Result: (W) 41-24

Denzel Burke: Stats: N/A

Team Result: (W) 27-0

Jakailin Johnson: Stats: N/A

Team Result: (W) 41-21

Sam Hart: Stats: N/A

Team Result: (L) 50-62

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series