ADVERTISEMENT

John Ruiz - Certified Grifter Battling the SEC (no, not that one)

JoostNL

Walk-on
Gold Member
Oct 15, 2022
Now Atlanta, GA. Then Amsterdam, NL.
Pretty sure that these stories have made the rounds on many of the boards (the second one from law.com has been online since April - so any 2024 recruit with Google should have reasonably been able to read it before inking a NIL deal with Ruiz):

TL;DR Version: Ruiz is the target of multiple federal civil and criminal investigations. His company MSP Recovery Inc (AKA "LifeWallet") is on the precipice of being de-listed from NASDAQ. And its share price has dropped from its $10 IPO price to $0.22 (not a typo - you read that correctly - 22 cents per share).

Why am I posting this on a CFB message board? Because I know for an absolute fact that two players who ultimately signed with UGA were giving a bedazzling NIL pitch by Ruiz that included stock shares as a central tenet of their financial proposals. Ruiz tried to sell these players and their families on "investing in growing long-term wealth" and "building financial literacy beyond football" and blah, blah, blah. The cash that they were offered was modest. A lot of the NIL value being reported by the media included the high point valuation of the shares (which are now basically worthless). In the end, the players that I know obviously preferred the cold hard cash in Athens over the smoke and mirrors in Coral Gables.

In other words, if I were Marquise Lightfoot, I'd cash that check and sell those shares ASAP.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News