ADVERTISEMENT

Justin Fields

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marc Givler

Hall of Famer
Jan 10, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
A source on the ground in Athens believes Ohio State could be the preferred destination if freshman quarterback Justin Fields decides to transfer from the University of Georgia.

There is a lot to unpack here though.

1. Fields has not officially requested his release.

2. If he does decide to transfer, he has a bit of a tall task in front of him in terms of being granted immediate eligibility. Immediate eligibility would be a huge part of the puzzle in terms of Ohio State's interest. There's not nearly as much value there if Fields has to sit out a year.

As for number one, that certainly looks like it's going to happen. If number one happens, the basis for number two happening will be the racially charged incident from October that involved former Georgia baseball player Adam Sasser who hurled some derogatory remarks at Fields during the game against Tennessee.

Will that be enough to qualify under a loophole for special circumstances? I have no idea, but that is what the Fields camp will argue, should he formally announce his decision to transfer.

This stuff had sort of been whispered about quietly the last week or so in terms of Ohio State being a possible destination. Now that things aren't so quiet, I would imagine the wolves are going to be circling on this one. While Fields is still a somewhat unproven player, he is an incredible talent and guys like this don't come on the transfer market every day, especially with the potential of immediate eligibility and a few years left on his eligibility clock.

So if Fields does leave UGA, and I believe he will, this will be a pretty cutthroat competition to land Fields. But again, a source in Athens believes Ohio State could be the front-runner in such a competition.

Going to be a very interesting few weeks I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News