ADVERTISEMENT

New paid option for kids to get to the NBA...

BuckWi03

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jan 11, 2002
Is it just me or does this seem like a total disaster waiting to happen?

This is billed as getting an education, getting paid and going to high school and college while getting the best coaching, facilities, nutrition and workouts.

I don't doubt they will get good players and coach them well. I get the idea of paying players but there must be a ton of details everyone has to hope have been worked out.

1. If they are in high school what requirements do they have regarding academics?
2. If they are not a traditional school working within the framework and rules of high schools or colleges who polices the academics? Cheating, grades, "helping" students, are they real classes, minimum grades and requirements.
3. What value do the kids gain besides their current pay, when the VAST MAJORITY never go pro? Or if they do go pro they wash out in 3 years?
4. 16 and 17 years olds are not old enough to even sign contracts I see lots of issues with Uncles, buddies, and others scamming these kids.
5. How does the league make money to pay for facilities, coaches and millions in payroll for players?
6. Can the kids sign endorsement deals? If so who is protecting the kids?
7. Once this becomes all about money do the kids have players union to act on their behalf?

I just can't see a league aimed at 16,17 and 18 year old kids with a profit motive and lots of money swirling around ending well for a lot of kids. Sounds like a good way to use young kids with little to know controls. I know many will say it sounds like the NCAA. Wish I could totally disagree.

• Haha
Reactions: anon_x0yge3i6m0bdz
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News