ADVERTISEMENT

Should OSU change their recruiting strategy?

Dbonemalone

Sophomore
Gold Member
Nov 25, 2022
So I’ve been thinking on this for a bit and listening to the Podcast Daily today (1/5/2023 - great episode!) spurred me to post this.

Should OSU still aggressively recruit at a national level, or should they take a different approach?

In the past, with restrictive transfer rules, the current recruiting strategy made a lot of sense. Get the best players available and sort it out, because they likely are to going anywhere. But now I wonder whether there needs to be more thought to roster building.

The guys brought up Carnell Tate as a very hypothetical example, but I thought it was instructive. if you are building a roster with all four and five star recruits, then some of those high end guys who aren’t getting opportunities early are going to leave for places where they WILL get opportunities. Why wait until you’re a junior if you can play as a sophomore at a program that’s still quite good? And maybe get some NIL as well?

Should OSU adjust by signing more kids with higher floors/lower ceilings so that they can have more roster continuity? More kids from Ohio who are more likely to stick around? You still need four and five stars to be competitive. Is there ever a situation where you can have TOO many?

I am not advocating for anything. Just an interesting thought experiment.

Reactions: 85Yards
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News