ADVERTISEMENT

Football Recruiting Spoke today with 2023 S Jayden Bonsu and 2024 WR Tyseer Denmark...

Zack Carpenter

Walk-on
Staff
Sep 2, 2019
Following Sunday's Philadelphia Rivals Camp Series, the second leg of my East Coast trip was a drive to St. Peter's Prep in New Jersey to meet 2023 safety Jayden Bonsu and then I stopped into Roman Catholic High School in Philly to see 2024 receiver Tyseer Denmark.

Bonsu remains a priority target for the Buckeyes in Perry Eliano's first recruiting class. I say Eliano's name because that's who Bonsu mentioned over and over during our conversation. It illustrates this point: The Buckeyes are recruiting Bonsu as a safety. Not a linebacker or a combo linebacker/safety. He's a hoss at 6-foot-2, 205 pounds, but he's not too big. He could be a good fit as the boundary safety in Knowles' defense. This new OSU defensive staff has the vision of using him in a similar role to that of Ronnie Hickman's from last season, who was used in multiple roles all over the place.

I will have much more on Bonsu with a feature story coming this week from my time spent with him and his head coach. So be on the lookout for that. Because he's definitely a guy who could wind up in the Buckeyes' class. They are absolutely going to sign three safeties, and that number could reach four. He did not outright say it -- and I didn't ask -- but I got the vibe that Ohio State is the leader and in the driver's seat heading into June.

The Buckeyes hold the only scheduled official visit so far (June 17-19), but more official visits will likely be announced soon. I was told a few of the schools he plans to visit, but I'm gonna respect his request to not report them and let him announce them publicly on his own time. Bottom line: Ohio State sits in a really good position right now with a decision expected to come after his official visits.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News