ADVERTISEMENT

Football Spring practice numbers

Bill Landis

Junior
Staff
Jul 25, 2022
Going through the position groups to see what Ohio State will have this spring, and the defense feels exceptionally light.

Defensive tackle: 6
Defensive end: 6
Linebacker: 6
Cornerback: 5
Safety: 8

That's 31 total scholarship players on defense in the spring, including an incoming transfer and three true freshmen. I'm sure some guys among that group of 31 will either have some load management in the spring or will be out of practice altogether. I don't have the numbers on hand to compare that to past years, but it doesn't feel like a particularly well-stocked cupboard in terms of available players, and it could get hairy in a hurry. The staff might have to get creative with how it organizes practice, or maybe have some guys cross-train at different positions. I'll try to ask Ryan Day about that at some point.

The offense seems to be situated much better with 43 total scholarship players on the spring roster before getting into any guys who won't be available (and there will undoubtedly be some).

Quarterback: 3
Running back: 5
Receiver: 12
Tight end: 6
Offensive line: 17 (18 if you include Avery Henry)

Looking ahead to the summer, when the rest of the 2023 commits will get on campus, the defense is projected to have only 38 scholarship players while the offense is projected to have 45.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News