ADVERTISEMENT

The fall from grace of the Urban Meyer aura

Status
Not open for further replies.

fuzznut1

Freshman
Jun 8, 2016
An interesting interlude of the regime change from Tressel to Urban is the ideals of an offensive saviant, and innovation. The mere notion of an Urban team resembling anything like a Tressel offense was to be laughed at and mocked.

As we sit today, Urban is a bad offensive coach. Last night, and for the past few years. The facts say the much belittled Tressel and Bollman were just as good. Frankly Meyer has been hiding behind the viel of his "guru" perception and his national championships that he has not nearly received the same amount of vitriol as Tressel did. Last night Kirk Herbstreit would have been making snarky backhanded insults at Tress left and right on air, or outright said "if I were a recruit I wouldn't go there" as he once did.

Does Urban win 95 % of his games ? Sure, so did Tressel. But a spade is a spade. And we can see bad offense that is a problem when we see it.

Here is a ponderounce of evidence of Urban being his own form of Bollman, and that comparison of incompetence should not be laughed at ….

-- perhaps the two worst offensive gameplans in ohio state history against Michigan State and Clemson.

-with one of the most talented offensive rosters in ohio state history last year he managed to look like garbage against hawaii, indiana, and the rest of the weak big ten schedule

complete befuddlery to run basic elementary offensive concepts like bash or power read in favor of wussy horizontal plays into slanted defenses playing the edge. I mean sure Dave was a reduntant play but I actually liked that better. We never threw to the tight end, or ran screen passes back then, and we still don't.

NFL general managers and head coaches hinting at Urban's qb development, route tree, and offense as basic and for all intense and purposes archaic. Florida fans said the same thing in his latter years.

players are calling out the playcalling publicly. Zeke last year, Cardale last night, Darron Lee just called out the playcalling last night and last year. I don't even recall this happening under Tress, and I will say with Urban's culture of holding players accountable in practice and calling out the has and has nots ….this is going to be a major problem if the players don't believe in the coach and don't believe their coach is being accountable too. It feels like a double standard, and right now Urban isn't doing his job to put his players in position to succeed on the field and in the postgame he is still calling out player execution. Not smart.

The perception of Urban should be viewed as what he is, a poor offensive mind and he needs to be criticized as much as Tressel was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News