ADVERTISEMENT

Tidbits on several defensive targets for the Buckeyes, OSU commit to visit Notre Dame this weekend

Joseph Hastings

Junior
Staff
Jul 20, 2017
1617665173841.png
  • 30 year fixed rates in the mid 2’s; 15 year fixed rates below 2%
  • 3,000+ 5 star reviews
  • A+ rating on the Better Business Bureau
  • Nearly 100 Grove members have closed with JFQ
  • Free appraisal covered by JFQ
  • Email info@jfqlending.com or PM AZBuckeye6 for a free mortgage review

Notes on several d-line targets, including Travis Shaw and Walter Nolen

2022 defensive tackle recruiting is an interesting area to focus in on as it has expanded a few times in the past two or so months.

Nine DTs in this cycle are currently in possession of an offer from the Buckeyes, but none of them have yet to pull the trigger and commit to the school. So, in this section, we’ll take a look at the latest we have heard on some of these targets.

First off, the big one is obviously Walter Nolen.

The third-ranked junior in the nation is continuing to say, and even do, all the right things in terms of where things stand with Ohio State. Along with remaining high on Larry Johnson and his resume, Nolen has included the school in his top 10 and, most recently, his top eight.

So, I decided to reach out to a source in Columbus to see where things truly stand between Nolen and the Buckeyes. Is the five-star seriously considering the likes of Michigan and Ohio State, or is he destined for the SEC at the next level?

“SEC,” the source said.

I also wanted to get some insight from another perspective, so I reached out to one of Nolen’s teammates at SBA High School in Tennessee. His teammate told me that he’s become good friends with Nolen, and says he believes Ohio State has a legitimate shot at landing him.

I’m inclined to believe my source in Columbus given how much intel they have and just by reading the tea leaves in Nolen’s recruitment. This is a young man who’s gone from Olive Branch (Mississippi) to IMG Academy in Florida to Cordova (Tennessee) in the span of two years. Being from the Southeast, the SEC is revered all over, and Nolen being attracted to the conference makes sense.

I’m leaning toward Alabama in this one, and I’ve heard that Florida could be a dark horse as well. I won’t completely write off Ohio State, but I think it’s understandable why they’ve offered several defensive tackles this year alone.

Switching over to another five-star DT – Travis Shaw – there is not too much to add as he’s focused primarily on his junior campaign at the moment.

I did, however, get to speak with his head coach, Darryl Brown, earlier today. Brown says Shaw does not have any official visits scheduled just yet, and had the following to say about where he believes the Buckeyes stand with him.

“I think Ohio State is in his top five for sure,” Brown said. “After our season, we are going to sit down and try to figure some things out.

Brown also tells me that he has been in touch with defensive line coach Larry Johnson, who he referred to as a “great” person.

It seems likely that Shaw will be staying in the Carolinas at the next level, but I would not be shocked if OSU gets an official visit from him.

A few other targets at the position for Ohio State that are eyeing official visits to the school are Christen Miller, Jamari Lyons and Khurtiss Perry. Lyons and Perry told me they have yet to set up their OVs to Columbus, while it is still unknown when Miller intends on returning to the campus (he visited last October).

Finally, recent offer Chris McClellan is a player worth paying attention to. The three-star recruit told me in a conversation last week that the Buckeyes are guaranteed an official visit from him, Johnson’s presence on the staff is sticking out to him the most about the program, and noted that Josh Proctor actually went to the same high school as him.

McClellan can play either defensive tackle or defensive end, and I would not be shocked if he winds up in this class.

Quick Note on Omari Abor

Sticking with the d-line, I received an interesting message from a reporter colleague in Norman (Oklahoma) this past week.

I was told that Ohio State “really has Omari Abor’s attention at the moment.” Abor, who hails from Duncanville (Texas), checks in as the fifth-ranked strong-side defensive end in this cycle, and even told me a few weeks ago that OSU is in his “top two or three.”

I reached out to Omari’s father, Randy, to gauge his son’s interest in the program. Randy says that Ohio State obviously remains in the running for Omari’s recruitment, but noted that Alabama and Texas are surging at the moment.

This is definitely not the best-case scenario for the Buckeyes as the Longhorns are the in-state school that has seen some success on the trail since the arrival of head coach Steve Sarkisian. Also, as we’re seeing with J.T. Tuimoloau and even transfer portal target Henry To’oto’o, the Crimson Tide are difficult to beat out for elite recruits.

Looking at what Ryan Day’s program has going in their favor, Randy was very straightforward in his response to me.

“One name, I think lol,” Randy said. “Larry Johnson.”

Omari is very intrigued by the caliber of players Johnson has produced into the NFL, and how his skill set can be maximized if he is coached by him. Randy also says they believe Johnson is probably not going anywhere, which is appealing to Omari as well.

This was an enlightening conversation, and I think it goes to show that there needs to be a sense of urgency in landing Abor sooner rather than later. Oklahoma remains a top contender, and with Alabama and Texas gaining ground, Ohio State is going to have a lot of competition if his recruitment goes all the way until either of the two signing periods.

Pair of CB targets made their way out to Clemson last week

Last week was a big one for the Clemson Tigers as they had their spring game on Saturday, and a number of recruits were in attendance for the event.

The big names that visited, for Buckeye fans, were Ryan Turner and Toriano Pride. These two are arguably Ohio State’s top uncommitted cornerback targets at this time.

With this being the case, I exchanged some messages with a source in Clemson to see where they believe things stand with Pride and Turner.

Starting with Pride, the belief is that Clemson, Missouri and Ohio State are in his unofficial top three. I was told that Clemson feels “they’re right there” with the Buckeyes, and him having family close to the school will assist the Tigers’ efforts with him.

Also, one of the top recruiting pitches to Pride from Dabo Swinney’s staff is that there will be a possible opportunity for early playing time at the school.

My thoughts before this visit was that Pride was slightly leaning toward Clemson, and after hearing that he spent a lot of time with their 2022 commits and current defensive backs group, I’m inclined to say that this remains the case, as of right now.

Pride has an official visit scheduled to Ohio State the first weekend of June, assuming he hasn’t committed to the Tigers before then.

With Turner, he actually took an extensive visit to Clemson last week. His trip started on Wednesday, and he stayed all the way through the spring game.

I was told that Turner is liked by Clemson’s staff, but there was no definitive answer as to whether or not he is currently a take for them. They have no defensive backs committed in this class, and the program is still eyeing the likes of Pride, Jeadyn Lukus and Daylen Everette.

I’m hearing the thought process is for the Tigers to likely take three cornerbacks, but I cannot say for certain that they are slow playing Turner. All I can say is that I am comfortable in my assertion that Ohio State is trending for the Rivals250 prospect, and they’re sitting in the best position right now.

Turner, who took a three-day trip to Columbus last month, is expected to officially visit Ohio State sometime in June.

Buckeyes pledge to visit Notre Dame this weekend

I received word earlier today that Ohio State commit Jyaire Brown is expected to make his way out to South Bend, Indiana, for a self-guided visit to Notre Dame.

I’m told his trip will be on Saturday, and that he will be back in Columbus in time for the Under Armour All-America Camp in Columbus. Initially, Brown was set to visit the campus this past weekend, but opted to push his trip back a week.

From Notre Dame’s side, there is reason to believe that flipping Brown is not just a pipe dream for the program. I heard that the staff is “optimistic” about their chances of getting Brown, but not “confident.”

I also heard that Brown has a good relationship with the Fighting Irish’s cornerbacks coach, Mike Mickens, as well.

I’m not going to lie and say I believe Brown definitely will sign with Ohio State come December or February; he is the commit in this class I believe is the most likely to wind up reopening their recruitment before signing.

But, however, I still think the Buckeyes will edge out Notre Dame when it’s all said and done. Brown moved back to Ohio to be closer to the school, has been committed for nearly a year, and has developed strong bonds with Kerry Coombs as well as his fellow commits.

It could end up being a close one with two hats on the table come Signing Day, but I have no reason to believe at this time that Ohio State won’t ultimately come out on top.

I’ll have an update on Brown’s trip to South Bend, Indiana, for next week’s Skull Session.

Caleb Burton to transfer to Lake Travis

On Monday, it was reported that Rivals100 wide receiver Caleb Burton will be transferring to Lake Travis in Austin (Texas) for his final season of high school. If you recall, this is the same school Garrett Wilson attended before signing with the Buckeyes.

Burton opted to transfer from Del Valle High School as his father, Charles, was going to step down as the head coach. Today’s report says that Burton will be on Lake Travis’ staff moving forward.

I do want to mention, however, that Charles told me nothing has been set in stone just yet. He was not thrilled about that information being reported as they are still waiting for things to be finalized.

Burton, the sixth-ranked wideout on Rivals, should be happy about the offense he is set to join. Last season, sophomore quarterback Bo Edmunson threw for over 281 yards per game on 68 percent completion, and recorded 17 passing touchdowns to just two interceptions in five games played.

Burton missed all of last season due to a knee injury, but I’m sure his stock on our network will rise if he returns to form and is a major contributor in this pass-friendly offense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News