ADVERTISEMENT

Tom Allen & Indiana

Aug 1, 2022
As Tom Allen continues to trudge toward his impending demise in Bloomington, I think it's worth noting that Allen was likely never a good head coach himself, but instead did a great job hiring assistants, two in particular. One may argue that this is one of the most important qualities in a head coach, and I would agree, but if you're strongest trait is hitting the occassional HR in hiring assitants, you're likely not long for the job.

Indiana started to overachieve in 2019, and along with this came adulation for Allen. He cares. He's a great motivator. His players love him. There were fawning profiles of a guy that just kinda seemed like doofus.

It was 2019 that both Kalen DaBoer and Kane Womack joined the program, as offensive and defensive coordinators. They went 8-5 and finished above .500 in conference for the first time since 1993. After 2019, DaBoer left to become head coach at Fresno State, where he acquited himself well before moving on to Washington, where he now appears to be one of the better young coaches in the country.

Womack stuck around another season, and again Indiana played well in 2020, going 6-2 (6-1 in conference), completing likely the best Hoosier football season in a generation or two. Womack departed to become head coach at South Alabama, where he has the program moving in the right direction.

None of Womack or DaBoer's replacements have worked out. They're on their second OC situation since DaBoer left three seasons ago. They're on their second DC in two seasons since Womack left for Mobile, Alabama.

Why did I waste everybody's time with this? I don't know, but it seems like such a glaring instance of coach appearing to be good at his job only for him not to be. In most of those instances, no answer ever comes. Here, it's pretty clear Allen was propped up by two pretty talented young coaches.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News