ADVERTISEMENT

A few thoughts..........

V-BCoach

All-conference
Gold Member
Aug 20, 2015
- OSU did the thing that they absolutely needed to do on offense. They needed to just get the ball to their athletes while putting them out in space. Those WRs werent' running vertical and uncovered. They were working in the first and second levels and losing defenders that way. UC was focused on not getting beat deep, so OSU kept slicing them with 5-15 yard passes. That is crushing to a defense.

- Establishing the run seemed to be a focus of the offense early. I say this because they ran the QB. I know they don't want to do that but they knew it would open things up. The early carries by Fields made the UC guys account for him. Then when they used those fakes, it opened up the runs for the RBs it seemed.

- The lines were just fantastic. The game was won there on both sides. When the other team can barely run for a yard while your team is running for a few hundred yards, it is obvious who won the line of scrimmage. What was really impressive by the OL was the pass protection. Fields sometimes had all day.

- The DL is doing something we haven't really seen in a while. They are getting to the QB in just a straight 4 man rush. LJ knows they will double Chase so his other guys will get one on ones. That showed up. Chase was outstanding. However, when you get the other guys getting to the QB, it makes it rough on the offense. We haven't seen stunts yet, so the pure rush is just outstanding.

- I always look at stats. One thing I think that shows great defense was played is when you do NOT have one guy who has a bunch of tackles. If your safety has over 10 tackles, you are probably in trouble. Yesterday, everyone played great, so UC was not attacking a certain player or point. Thus the tackles were limited. Six guys had between 4-6 tackles. That is always a great sign.

- The found a way to get Dobbins going. He caught flack on here last week for his runs, and rightfully so. This week he was much better. I think by changing some of his angles on his runs, he was much better. He seems to lack vision on the quick hitting north/south runs. Using that zone read stuff and having him run off tackle really seemed to help him. Also on his long run he showed that top end speed we have been hearing about. To me, he was always quick but not fast. Now he looks fast.

- The thing that probably will not get enough praise is the performance of the special teams. When UC got that first stop, the momentum went to them. Then OSU punts and puts them on the one yard line. That is just a killer. Throw in the blocked field goal, and special teams had some huge momentum changing plays.

- Watching Maryland score at will was interesting. I didn't like the hire in terms of what kind of person Locksley is. However, there is no doubt he has jump started the offense there. That was a decent team they rolled yesterday. They are someone to keep an eye on.

- MSU's uniforms looked like and old USFL team. Their offense played better in them though.

- My team took a disappointing loss. Dealing with success was tough. However, in my now 23 years of coaching, i have a had a first time problem that I do NOT know how to handle. My team's school district has a ransomware issue. Because of it, we have NO COMPUTER ACCESS. For those that do not know, all film is done on computers. Are aren't even allowed to turn on a computer, use a hotspot, or even run the copiers. That has created some issues for sure. Its not why we lost, but if you told me that ransomware would be affecting my team this year, I would have laughed. We have yet to watch film together as a team. Hard to coach things that they can't see.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News