ADVERTISEMENT

A humbling ordeal

Kirk Barton

Night King
Aug 8, 2015
I have been having an incredibly good week this week in my career and am en route to Scottsdale...

However, yesterday I was taken aback by a request from a friend. My friend and I are not super close, but he is a very good person. He simply texted me "Hey Kirk, can you call me please"...

So I called. He was kind of shook up. He asked me if I would stop by and see his friend at Kobacker House. He is in the final stages of bone cancer and has about a week or so left to live. My friend explained he is a huge Ohio State fan and it would really mean alot to him if I stopped over...

Today was a very busy day for my work and I also had a home delivery/installation I had to wait around for. However, I had about a 45 minute window between the install and picking my wife up to head to this work conference that I am en route to in Arizona. I took that time to drive over and see my friend's friend...

I grabbed the only gift I could think of that was unique, which is an authentic helmet sticker/buckeye leave combo that I have a few of. As I walked into the building and asked for the person, I realized how it is completely amazing that somebody would want to meet me during their final few days of life. I walked up to the room and his son and wife were in the process of bathing him. As soon as I told her who I was, she said he heard I might be coming and was excited to meet me. They took a second to cover him up and I sat and talked to him for about 20 minutes. I gave him the helmet sticker/buckeye leaves and he was happy for a moment. His wife proceeded to tell me that he requested his friends all wear Ohio State gear to his funeral, as if it was an OSU gameday. I thanked him for inviting me and thanked his family. He is only 50 years old, so I know the pain(my dad was 39 when he passed from cancer as well)...

I guess the point of me posting this is to tell everyone to enjoy everything and don't sweat the small stuff. I somehow slightly brightened somebody's day who I've never met and isn't promised tomorrow. It is crazy, but I am really humbled that somebody would want to meet me during their final days of life. Just thought I'd pass that along. I appreciate all of your guys and everyone who supports the program. Thank you guys so much.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News