ADVERTISEMENT

About Mitchell's 40 time...

22buck

Junior
Gold Member
Aug 17, 2015
I look at speed as much as anyone, including track times in events such as the 200 meters (running a curve) and 110 hurdles (hips) which I think are good indicators of football speed. But sometimes there's a little too much focus on 40 times... the most recent case being Mitchell's 5.01 at a Nike camp.

We all need to consider that a kid could be nursing an injury; or is overweight/out of shape in the off season; or doesn't know how to get in a proper track stance; or simply doesn't run his hardest. And is a 40 time truly indicative of playing skill and "football speed"?

For those who worry about Mitchell's time, look at Palaie Gaoteote, who may be the top LB in the country. He also ran a 5+ second 40 at a camp earlier this year. He "improved" to a 4.95 at the Nike camp in March. So, he's running about the same as Mitchell and he's carrying 7-10 pounds less weight.

Another example: Amon-Ra St. Brown, who could be the top WR in the country (I really like this kid). He ran 4.67 at Nike in March. Which, coincidentally, was the same time Donnie Corley ran a couple of years ago. Both of those guys are elite WRs with the ability to get deep in spite of 40 times that don't impress people.

I do think Mitchell needs to drop some bad weight and get in better shape if he wants to play LB at OSU. But he's coming to the best place in the country to reshape his body and I'm anxious to see how he looks/plays in a couple of years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News