ADVERTISEMENT

As a ref, here are my two cents on the calls from the game

Chancey7

Sophomore
Aug 15, 2015
Let me preface this by saying one thing I will always say is good and ball calls equal themselves out. The best team wins the game. OSU had several chances to win. They gave up 3 big TD plays and had a bonehead roughing the kicker call.

That being said, I’m the targeting call, other refs I’ve spoken with were a little worried on the role of instant replay. There were two refs on the field by the QB and neither threw a flag. The booth review came as a result of a very good sell by Lawrence. If this was Lewerke from MSU play would’ve been a sack. By the letter of the law you can call targeting. However when you slow any hit up frame by frame you can call targeting on the half the tackles you see. I saw 5 times in the Bama game yesterday where you could call targeting. Those calls weren’t replayed. The call was a game changer for many reasons. Will this lead to more QBs being hit lower and in the knees?

As for the fumble call. That was a missed called. Either call it a catch and forward progress being stopped or call it a fumble. Now the lines are blurred even more on what’s a catch and what isn’t a catch. From everything you are taught and learn as a ref, that was a catch.

The refs in the game with be reviewed and graded. They were calling that game for a reason, they were some of the best in their conference. I’m pretty sure there will be some changes in the off-season as instant replay and targeting are trickling down to the High school level.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News