ADVERTISEMENT

Boom coming soon? (UPDATE PAGE 5, 12/5 at 2:34 PM EST)

Alex Gleitman

Junior
Jul 8, 2019
***SPECIAL THANKS TO OUR PARTNER INFINIT NUTRITION FOR SPONSORING "A-DECK"! CHECK THEM OUT AND GET SOME HANDCRAFTED CUSTOM PROTEIN & RECOVERY MADE FOR YOU!

Welcome back for another edition of “A-Deck” at BuckeyeGrove.com, presented by Infinit Nutrition, where I’ll bring you thoughts, what I’m hearing, inside scoop, tidbits, and more for Ohio State recruiting and team coverage, every Wednesday.

Last week’s A-Deck previewed the big recruiting weekend that Ohio State held as they hosted and defeated Big Ten rival Penn State.

This week, we return to recap the recruiting weekend that was, look at a possible boom coming, and rest the 2020 board following the commitment of Miyan Williams to Ohio State.

RECAPPING THE BIG RECRUITING WEEKEND

As Marc touched on in Skull Session this week, the big recruiting weekend that Ohio State hosted had two purposes: secure a commitment from Miyan Williams and lay the groundwork with all of the talented underclassmen in the 2021 and 2022 classes that were in attendance.

It was mission accomplished on getting a pledge from Williams, and I’m actually told that deal was basically sealed a few weeks back, with the visit being the “i’s dotted and t’s crossed”. This was a big pick up for Ohio State, who really needed a 2020 running back pledge, and is a big fan of the Winton Woods star.

Regarding the rest of the prospects in attendance, I believe it was mission accomplished as well and then some (see below item). There were many top 2021 targets on hand for the game and some top 2022 guys as well. Everyone I spoke to raved about the atmosphere and environment at The Horseshoe on Saturday, and for those who got to spend time with the coaching staff over the weekend, it seems like a strong impression was left that could help the Buckeyes in their pursuit of many of these prospects moving forward.

Ohio State traditionally has not gotten a ton of commitments out of weekends like this, and that holds true for this one, but the ability to plant the seed and then work towards closing the deal this off-season with many of the top 2021 targets who were there this weekend is invaluable.

reioxhzww7lbfbr9frco

POSSIBLE BOOM COMING?

I know it will annoy some of you that I’m not sharing the name, but out of respect for the kid announcing on his own terms and Ohio State, all I can say is that I am expecting another “boom” coming out of the Penn State recruiting weekend.

What I can say is that this is a 2021 prospect, that timing is likely after Thanksgiving weekend (and probably sometime next week if I had to guess), and that this is a big win for the Buckeyes on the recruiting trail. Once it happens, you’ll know exactly who I’m talking about, but from a rankings perspective, need perspective, and who Ohio State beat out for this kid, it’s just a huge get for the program.

Stay tuned for more on BuckeyeGrove, but just know that good news on the recruiting trail is coming soon for the Scarlet and Gray.

WILLIAMS IS IN, HOW DO THEY FINISH?

As mentioned above, the Buckeyes snagged a pledge from 2020 running back Miyan Williams, giving the program it’s first at the position for the cycle and 25 total commitments in the class overall.

With that in mind, how does Ohio State finish out from here?

It looks like the staff is dead set on landing a second quarterback in the class to pair with Jack Miller. The top target is CJ Stroud, and there is confidence that Ohio State can land him. The hope is getting the California-native back to Columbus for an official visit the weekend of December 14, right before the Early Signing Period. If OSU is unable to land Stroud, look for them to focus all their attention on Washington State commit Jayden De Laura. De Laura does not plan to sign his LOI until February, which is huge for Ohio State, as they can see what happens with Stroud and go from there.

At running back, landing Williams is big, but I believe the staff would like to add one more to the group, if it’s the right one. Jahmyr Gibbs is a top target, and Ohio State is right in that one. They hosted him for an unofficial visit earlier this month, and are trying to get him back for an official sometime before he signs in February. Gibbs is currently committed to Georgia Tech, and with a desire to stay in the South, it’s likely he could stay with that pledge. Alabama (if they decide to take him) and Georgia (if they move on him) could be two others to worry about here as well. As for guys like Jaylan Knighton, Jalen Berger, and EJ Smith, you should not expect them in this class. Kevontre Bradford is still on the board, but not looking likely at this point in time. While I’m told it’s not likely right now, keep an eye on Bijan Robinson, and if anything happens with Texas, who is having a poor year. Not trying to get anyone’s hopes up, and again I see this as unlikely, but it appears the door isn’t completely shut.

The Buckeyes should be all set at wide receiver, tight end, and offensive line as things currently stand.

On the defensive line, the Buckeyes hosted Xavier Carlton this weekend, and while I’m told the visit went well, I’m thinking this one goes to Utah, where there are family ties. Tyler Baron is another name in the mix, but it seems Tennessee is trending here again, and even if it wasn’t the Vols, it may be Kentucky. My guess is that Ohio State could be done here, as I’m not sure they love either of those guys, or anyone else they’re evaluating. On top of that, with the news that Jonathon Cooper will redshirt this year and return next season, the need for a 2020 defensive end is not as great as it was prior to that announcement.

At linebacker, things should be all done, and it’s likely the same at defensive back, unless an absolute stud comes into the mix.

In sum, expect anywhere from one to three more commitments in this class when it’s all said and done, with most of the efforts on landing a second quarterback and a second running back.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News