ADVERTISEMENT

Clemson thoughts, All-Star week

Marc Givler

Hall of Famer
Jan 10, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
5db66444c08d8-JFQSkull.jpg

·Extremely low rates, Work directly with the owner of the company, and work with a Buckeye
·Free $500 appraisal credit on any purchase or refinance for you or any referral sent
·Accredited Better Business Bureau member
·NMLS # 1639493

Clemson thoughts

Don't usually do this in a Skull Session but with it being a Dead Period right now and recruiting starting to pick back up next week, combined with the magnitude of last night's game, this is probably appropriate.

Not sure I'll ever fully be able to wrap my brain around last night's game. That had all of the "how did that just happen?" factor of '98 Michigan State and '05 Texas combined with some calls that were beyond questionable and directly impacted the scoreboard.

I know Ryan Day has taken some criticism, but I thought for the most part he called a brilliant game. He dialed up screens at the right time, the offense racked up more than 500 yards and was extremely well balanced. The fourth and two touchdown pass was a brilliant call. For the majority of that game, Day and the offensive staff had a statistically dominant Clemson defense out of sorts.

I thought his real major error was not going for the two-point conversion to try to make it 24-21. I'm generally anti-point chasing, but at that point in the game there weren't many scenarios were going for two there and failing were going to end up sinking you. Also might have impacted how Ohio State handled the fourth and two decision to punt at the end of the game. Up just two, you HAVE to punt the ball there. Up three? Maybe a different story.

The red zone stuff was obviously frustrating and, yes, I think running it on 1st down once or twice might have been the better course of action, but Day ultimately called two touchdown passes that weren't brought in, with the screen pass being the more egregious of the two so I really think we're nitpicking here on some of this stuff. Ultimately guys have to execute or it doesn't really matter what is called.

Those miscues were obviously huge and took eight points off the scoreboard. But it's awfully difficult to be hard on J.K. Dobbins after that performance last night. Tremendous game from him and it will go down as one of the grittiest performances in Ohio State history. Great season for him as well and just speaks to his character to bounce back from a sophomore slump with one of the best offensive seasons in program history.

Frustrating end to the night for the defense. I thought Ohio State's defense played a fantastic game for three and a half quarters. Needed to come up with a stop down the stretch. Definitely some mistakes made out there with guys getting out of position, losing their footing, etc. but will just tip my cap on the Etienne touchdown pass, that was a beautiful play design and it just hit.

I'm not sure what to say about the officiating. I'm just not a blame the refs guy, but I thought we saw an egregious misuse of replay last night. I find myself more and more anti-replay as time goes on because I just don't think it's being used appropriately at pretty much all levels of the sport right now. I don't know how anyone can watch the replay of the Higgins fumble and conclude that there was indisputable video evidence that the call on the field shouldn't stand.

I've been very vocal over the past couple of years about how "over" the targeting rule I am and last night was another example of that. Could that have been targeting by definition? Sure. Should that be a play that is penalized in a football game? No. So if the rule is written in such a way that makes that call not only a penalty, but an ejection, then I just don't know where the game is right now, it's certainly not in a good place. That is not a knee-jerk reaction to the Wade play last night, I have a long and documented history of hating this rule, how it's called and applied.

I want malicious, dirty, spearing type of hits out of the game, but these guys are big and fast and sometimes helmets are going to drop and it's impossible right now to be a defender and know how to tackle.

I'm not as emotionally invested in this stuff as many of you are. Even with my own pro teams, I've grown out of that phase of taking losses so hard that it impacts my mood for the following week. But I can understand why this one stings and why it will likely continue to sting for a long time. Missing plays that these kids make 99% of the time combined with a few calls that ranged from terrible to very questionable is a brutal way to go and it's understandable to be sick over it.

If there is a silver lining, nobody is more sick about this than the folks in the Woody. Even with the expected losses to early entry, this is going to be an extremely talented 2020 roster and it's going to be one with an enormous boulder on its shoulders. Motivation will not be an issue this off-season.

That doesn't help anyone reading this today, I get that, but I just see a laser focus being born out of this.

Buckeyes make early cut for five-star corner

Regardless of what happens in January with the 2020 class, replenishing the secondary, particularly at cornerback, will be one of the top priorities for Ohio State's 2021 class. The Buckeyes are in on some of the nation's best at that position, so whoever takes over for Jeff Hafley in the next couple of weeks is going to have a nice group of targets to work with.

One guy that hasn't been talked about quite as much as some others is Corey Collier out of Miami (Fla.) Palmetto. Collier made some early cuts this week, unveiling a Top 10 which included Ohio State. Collier is the nation's top rated cornerback and No. 14 overall prospect in 2021.

As with any Florida kid, lets see what happens this off-season in terms of visits. Gotta get guys like this on campus for things to get "real", but a nice start here as the Buckeyes continue to find themselves on the short lists of many of the nation's top corners in 2021.

All-Star Week

All-Star week is here with both the All-American Bowl presented by Adidas and the Under Armour All-American Game taking place over the next six days. I will once again be in San Antonio this week to cover things down there. The players will be arriving on Monday so look for some content from check-in to start rolling in late Monday afternoon. The game will take place on Saturday and be broadcast on NBC as usual.

The Under Armour game has already had players check in and will take place on Thursday evening at 6 PM. Believe it will be broadcast on ESPN.

Players of Interest in the UA Game:

DL Jacolbe Cowan
WR Julian Fleming
DB Lejond Cavazos

Players of Interest in the All-American Bowl:

OL Paris Johnson Jr.
WR Jaxon Smith-Njigba
WR Gee Scott Jr.
DB Lathan Ransom
QB C.J. Stroud
OL Luke Wypler
LB Cody Simon