ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching Stuff Part 2

Marc Givler

Hall of Famer
Jan 10, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
- Expecting Colts assistant Jonathan Gannon to stay in the NFL at this point. For one, he's looking at a promotion within the NFL ranks either as part of a Josh McDaniels or Matt Eberflus staff (both are candidates for the Browns so some of you guys might be getting to know him better soon anyway) or in house with the Colts.

Also a timing issue here. I believe the hope is to have the staff finalized by the end of the week. The Colts are still alive in the playoffs and all of his NFL opportunities are not yet known. For a guy that I'm told would prefer an NFL gig (though the OSU DC job would be very intriguing for him), this probably doesn't get done. He was offered a spot on Day's staff, I'm told, but will very, very likely be staying in the NFL ranks.

- Lots of mixed info on the LSU staff rumors with Bill Busch and Corey Raymond in terms of just who the Buckeyes are pursuing there. I know they've talked with Raymond, that has definitely happened. LSU people are convinced he won't leave so we'll see. I'm not going to dive too much into the recruiting impact of what landing Raymond could mean until I have more reason to believe that it's a strong possibility. Right now I just know there has been communication. But I will say that if they were able to pull this off, it would have a very immediate impact.

- I believe Al Washington has a standing offer to make the move to Ohio State and join Day's staff. In exactly what capacity I'm not sure, but again with his name and Marcus Freeman's popping up, that does not signal good things to me about the future of Bill Davis. Washington is from Ohio, his dad played at Ohio State, and Ohio State certainly would offer him plenty of opportunities. Despite all of that, it is still a hell of a decision to make to leave Michigan for Ohio State (or vice versa) as an assistant coach. There is also the Greg Schiano factor that I think looms over every possible candidate. I think a lot of these guys, even if they don't get coordinator responsibilities, are going to want to see a path to that in the near future and obviously we saw out things worked out with Alex Grinch with being blocked off from those responsibilities.

- My best guess is still that Greg Schiano is staying on as DC and that there will be other hires made around him.

- How many new hires on defense? In my opinion it could be three and will be at least two. Obviously Grinch opens up one spot. There are too many linebackers coaches in the rumor mill with legitimate smoke around them for me to believe that Davis will be back.

- Someone asked me like two days ago if I had heard anything on Taver Johnson and I said that I hadn't, which was true. Since that point, with some of the LSU stuff that is going on with Raymond and possibly Busch, I'm more inclined to believe that a change is coming there as well.

The AFCA coaches convention kicks off today and goes through the 9th, with the Dead Period ending on the 10th. I expect things to move pretty quickly the next few days.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News