ADVERTISEMENT

EXTRA: Buckeyes making a run at American Heritage

Marc Givler

Hall of Famer
Jan 10, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Most of the talk surrounding Ohio State and American Heritage High School in Plantation (Fla.) has been about the two big-time defensive backs in Patrick Surtain Jr. and Tyson Campbell. But a pair of recent offers at the school to class of 2018 four-star defensive tackle Nesta Silvera and four-star LB/DE Andrew Chatfield have things getting very interesting in South Florida right now.

Chatfield is being recruited as a defensive end by Ohio State and this is the one that is moving the quickest right now in favor of the Buckeyes. I am told that Ohio State would be prepared to accept a commitment from Chatfield should he try to give one and I think he's going to try to do just that sooner rather than later.

Nothing that Chatfield does would impact Teradja Mitchell as they are being recruited at completely different position groups. However, if Chatfield chooses Ohio State soon, it is going to raise questions about how the Buckeyes are going to make the numbers work along the defensive line. Certainly a commitment from Chatfield is going to be further evidence that there may not be room for Aeneas Hawkins, but you're still left with Tyreke Smith, Micah Parsons, Jayson Oweh, and Stephon Wynn and the staff is very high on all of these guys. Oweh and Wynn are two that OSU probably doesn't lead for right now but it just doesn't leave much wiggle room here and it's going to be interesting to see how this all comes together.

Silvera isn't quite as cut and dry but I'm also told Ohio State is moving in a good direction with him as well. His situation is a little more complicated as he is currently committed to Miami (Fla.). However, I'm also told that if Silvera tried to flip right now to Ohio State that they would take him too. All that would do is magnify the above questions.

I'm operating under the impression at this point that Ohio State is going to take six defensive linemen. I've had one source tell me the number is five, I don't care if that information came directly from Urban Meyer himself, I'm not buying it, I think it's going to go over if they are prepared to take Chatfield in June.

Everyone is going to want this news to mean something for Patrick Surtain Jr., but it really doesn't. LSU and FSU are the two big favorites to land the five-star prospect. But I think this could help the Buckeyes with Tyson Campbell who I think is an Ohio State/Miami battle right now. As I've said before, Surtain and Campbell are kind of viewed as 1a and 1b by Ohio State. They are considered similar talents within the Woody Hayes Athletic Center so anything that Ohio State would do to help its chances with Surtain, it would certainly do to help its chances with Tyson Campbell.

But this Chatfield stuff could move very quickly and if it does, it will be in Ohio State's favor.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News