ADVERTISEMENT

EXTRA: Updates on a pair of DB targets

Joseph Hastings

Junior
Staff
Jul 20, 2017
5db66444c08d8-JFQSkull.jpg

·Extremely low rates, Work directly with the owner of the company, and work with a Buckeye

·Free $500 appraisal credit on any purchase or refinance for you or any referral sent

·Accredited Better Business Bureau member

·NMLS # 1639493

More good news on Hancock

Ever since Clemson pledge Jordan Hancock sent out a tweet on Thursday with the eyes emoji after Devonta Smith's decommitment from Ohio State, we've been doing some digging.

In Sunday's Skull Session, I noted that there is confidence in Columbus that if Hancock takes a visit to the school, then they would have a strong shot at flipping him. Dave Lackford also revealed that the Buckeyes' staff speaks with the coveted defensive back on a daily basis.

I decided to reach out to a source familiar with the situation, and I was told that Hancock doesn't necessarily have a tight bond with all of his fellow Clemson commits. Everything is going fine with the coaching staff, but he isn't as close with his future teammates as one would expect. It wasn't described as a bad relationship whatsoever; however, it does appear that there is room for improvement.

This is significant as I've heard that a number of members of Ohio State's 2021 class keeps in touch with Hancock, and several of them sent out responses to him after he tweeted the eyes emoji on his account. There is certainly a lot of comfort between the Buckeyes commits and Hancock, and I was once again told that a visit to the campus would give Ryan Day's program a really good shot at flipping him.

Another thing brought up to me recently is a potential interesting scenario involving Barrett Carter. I heard to pay attention to Carter's recruitment if Hancock ultimately ends up flipping to Ohio State because the top-40 overall prospect on Rivals never really gave a substantial reason for choosing the Tigers.

It is believed by the person I spoke with that Carter, who is teammates with Hancock at North Gwinnett High School, was somewhat influenced by Hancock's decision to choose the Tigers. After reviewing this article and this other one, it would be hard to disagree with that statement.

The part about Carter is a little bit more speculative, but I think it's something noteworthy to pay attention to if Hancock teams up with the Buckeyes.

Pushing for Davies

Hancock is not the only prospect committed elsewhere that Ohio State is looking to flip in this cycle.

Jaylin Davies, a Rivals100 cornerback and a recent Oregon commit, remains on the staff's radar. I was told by a source close to the situation that the Buckeyes are still making a push for Davies to add him to their 2021 class.

I also asked about the choice to go with the Ducks after Ohio State appeared to be the leader for his services. It was described as a "very tough decision," which leads me to believe this one is far from over, especially with over five months to go until the Early Signing Period.

A key aspect here, as is the case with Hancock, will be if Davies can get out to Columbus for a visit. The seventh-ranked corner in the country has yet to make his way to the school thus far in his recruitment, which was a big holdup for him not committing to Ohio State in the first place.

This source did inform me that assuming the NCAA will allow recruiting trips to take place in the fall, then Davies does plan on utilizing his official visits. Ohio State and Oregon would presumably receive officials from him, as well as Arizona State and USC. All four of those programs were labeled as his finalists prior to his decision on June 19.

With Devonta Smith no longer in this class and Tony Grimes recently committing to North Carolina, there is certainly a greater urgency to eventually pull off a Davies and/or Hancock flip.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News