ADVERTISEMENT

Fact or Fiction with the Third Wiseman

NevadaBuck

Staff
Jun 20, 2001
Went to the Third Wiseman for his thoughts---and transcribed the conversation--word for word

"First off thanks for taking the time. Lets jump right into it...

Fact or Fiction--Gameplan on Saturday night had too much Meyer input? FACT--A little odd, in that Kevin(Coach Wilson) is a huge personality and has been running the show since he got here. Coach Meyer got a little active in the gameplanning running up to the game and had some strong feelings about particular sequences. I think in hindsight---obviously--he would do it differently as he could. And he has pledged as much post game--to let his guys carry all the water

Fact or Fiction---Barrett is the root of the OSU offensive problems. FICTION--Do people really believe that on your board? Look, offense is a funny thing--you can be firing on all cylinders one minute and then tiny disruptions have a ripple effect on up the ladder and everything goes to hell. JT is double clutching and when pressured has developed a "hitch" in his delivery. That is obvious to everyone when they go over the tape. And Coach Day has spent hours with him trying to fix that--but its kinda like the yips in golf--easy to talk about--tough to fix. Ask Ian Baker-Finch. Having said all that the problems are multi-fold. Even with JT's limitations, his strenghts are still legion and more than good enough to take you to a title. The wide receivers--as a group--have not performed the way they should, but they are closer than people might think. We are close--this close--to having a very very proficient passing offense. I think this side of the ball turns around a lot quicker than anyone might imagine. Watch. And it won't be via personnel changes, as the backup QB's aren't close to being as good as Barrett--that's just a fact, and a widely held fact among the guys that do this for a living. Stop listening to those dumb media types, they have no clue.

Fact or Fiction--Barrett and the offense is the biggest problem on the team? FICTION---Not even close. Our propensity to give up yards through the air is the elephant in the room. Last in college football. LAST. I have no words.

Fact or Fiction--Well that means are cornerbacks are bad...correct? A little Fact, but more Fiction. The problems in the pass defense START at linebacker. You have three guys in Worley, Baker and Booker who are literally just running around out there--and abandoning any concept of team defense. Combined that with average to below average safety play and you have a recipe for disaster. Some of the corners (Sheffield) are struggling---but not as bad as one might think. They are being made to look bad, that is for sure

Fact or Fiction--This can be turned around. FACT Everything is still in front of this team. Win out and you are in. Happened in 2014--absolutely could happen this year. We are close.

Fact or Fiction---Best damn fans in the land? Little of both. When things are going good they certainly are? When you experience some adversity? Tough place to play, coach and just live

Fact or Fiction--You know what you are talking about? Well you know how I'm going to answer that. That's a FACT. I have opinions, but I would daresay that are as educated as one could possibly be."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News