ADVERTISEMENT

Football GAME THOUGHTS: #2 Ohio State 56, Western Michigan 0

AEllis

Aug 15, 2022
Much better than last week.

• Will Howard was really good again tonight. The underthrown ball to Jeremiah might be my only complaint.
  • Henderson and Judkins looked like two of the best backs in America. Judkins was so much better than last week. James Peoples continues to flash as well.
  • The offensive line was damn good. Seth McLaughlin is the best of the bunch right now. No concerns here (which feels great to say).
  • I don't know if Jeremiah Smith is an alien or a vampire or a werewolf. It's one of those rare situations where someone was being super-hyped yet it was still not enough hype. He's not human.
  • The wide receiver/tight end blocking was really good other than the Gee Scott hold that cost Judkins the long touchdown.
  • I thought Chip Kelly did a lot of cool stuff today (the four tight-end package comes to mind). I was a little surprised to see him whip some of that out against a team like WMU, but I'm not complaining.
  • I want to see more Julian Sayin. It was cool to see Air Noland congratulating him on the sideline after the TD pass.

• Cody Simon's presence was felt early and often (that includes one unfortunate whiff).
  • Caleb Downs is awesome. Still can't believe he's at Ohio State.
  • The entire defensive line was great, but Kayden McDonald may have stood out more than anyone.
  • I love Jordan Hancock but didn't love the one tackle where he ducked his head down. That was some dangerous stuff. Fortunately he was fine afterward.
  • Arvell Reese is everywhere. He stands out every time he is on the field. His ability to read and react is really really good for a second-year player. He's a much better linebacker than CJ Hicks and should continue to see the field more and more.
  • I am still in favor of finding ways to use Hicks as a blitzer (not sure if we saw any of that today or not).
  • Nice to see Aaron Scott, Jaylen McClain, and Eddrick Houston making some plays.

• Random note: I find Jake Butt to be extremely good as a commentator.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.