ADVERTISEMENT

Football GAME THOUGHTS: #3 Ohio State 35, Iowa 7

AEllis

Aug 15, 2022
Some frustrating moments early on, but it was mostly smooth sailing after that.

• The opening drive was great, but other than that it was a rough first half for Chip Kelly. Hated the 4th down QB run out of the shotgun.
  • Will Howard had an up-and-down day. He had some beauties to Emeka but also made some poor decisions and underthrew some deep balls.
  • He made some nice reads in the running game and ran hard on the designed carries. He missed a few open receivers and there was one play in particular where I wished he had thrown it out of bounds rather than taking a big loss. The INT was bad and again he needs to get better with the deep ball.
  • I thought the offensive line was solid for the most part but Donovan Jackson had a rough showing. He especially seems to struggle against stunting defenders.
  • I love how hard Quinshon Judkins continues to run.
  • Jeremiah Smith is pretty good imo. Emeka had some great catches today. Loved to see him get the trifecta.
  • I wonder what is going on with Jelani Thurman.
  • My favorite play of the game might have been the 4th and 2 play-action pass to Inniss late in the third.

• Is Tyleik Williams the most important player on the defense? The man is impossible to block. I am sad every time he's taken off the field in favor of the rushmen.
  • I though Sonny Styles had his best game of the season. He was caught flat-footed on a third down crosser early on, but other than that I thought he was pretty good today.
  • The defense did a hell of a job against Kaleb Johnson. Simon missed him once but that's going to happen on occasion against a good back.
  • I'm not gonna fault them too much for the second-team defense giving up the TD run. I hate that Arvell is the guy who missed the tackle though.
  • Ty Hamilton annihilated the blocker on the McNamara fumble to start the 4th

• I've been impressed with the half-time adjustments and how they come out and look after the break.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.