ADVERTISEMENT

Football GAME THOUGHTS: #3 Ohio State 49, Marshall 14

AEllis

Aug 15, 2022
Really ugly start, but most things got turned around as the game progressed.

• I thought the offense was mostly pretty good. The running game in particular looked awesome.
  • Henderson and Judkins are very different backs and I love the way they complement one another.
  • Still loving Chip’s creativity. Some plays seemed to be schemed up so well that OSU blockers didn’t even have anyone to block.
  • The interception was just a bad decision by Howard. I get that you have Jeremiah Smith one on one, but he was blanketed by the defender. I'd like to see Smith do more to try to get the ball or prevent the interception, but I don't think he was expecting it to be thrown his way.
  • I don't know if Tegra was bad early on and that's why they brought Siereveld in for a drive, but his presence was immediately felt on the long Judkins touchdown. He had a nice block to help spring him for the score.
  • I wanted to watch Donovan Jackson but honestly didn't pay much attention. He didn't have his name called much so I assume that's a good thing.
  • I thought Fryar was mostly fine outside of the one big whiff that led to Howard getting sacked on third and long.
  • I love that he's stuck around, but I don't really want to see Ballard out there any more. Give me Mylan Graham and some younger guys.

• Tyleik Williams is great, but I am honestly surprised the defense missed him as much as it did.
  • Hero Kanu was really bad early on and I'm not sure how much he played as the game progressed.
  • I think JT has been good this season despite his lack of big plays, but today wasn't his best day.
  • Overall the lack of pressure from the defensive line was concerning. The TD pass at the end of the first half was especially bad. He had all day back there.
  • Sonny Styles was pretty bad early on but got better as the game went on. Thought he made some nice plays in the second half. Still seems a bit hesitant at times.
  • Jordan Hancock did not have his best day; especially in pass coverage.
  • Stone Earle completed 44% of his passes against Stony Brook and Virginia Tech. He completed 76% of his passes against Ohio State.
  • I'd probably grade the defense a C- or somewhere in that range. Lack of pressure and poor LB play early on is a tough look against Marshall. D in the first half and maybe a B in the second.
  • That Metcalf kid for Marshall is a heck of a player.
  • The ghost of Parker Fleming still haunts us.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.