ADVERTISEMENT

Football GAME THOUGHTS: #3 Oregon 32, #2 Ohio State 31

AEllis

Aug 15, 2022
Ugh.

• Will Howard was pretty good today until late. He again had an underthrow to JJ, but he seemed to be in control throughout the game (obv that last drive is a different story). He's a redzone wizard. Obviously didn't love the bobbled snap on the one third down.
  • Howard just has to know the clock better on that last drive. No excuse for that from an experienced quarterback.
  • Trey was mostly good today. The one drive was especially great. He had the first down on the 3rd and 1 but for some reason tried to bounce it outside. They ended up punting.
  • Judkins wasn't his usual self. Maybe the hand injury was partially responsive for the strip?
  • Smart move snapping it so quickly after the Kacmarek "catch" on the opening drive.
  • Chip had an up-and-down day. There were some cool play designs and some other stuff that just wasn't working. The one full house backfield play didn't work at all.
  • Second drive was rough for the offensive line. There was a total miscommunication in pass protection. Then Donovan Jackson got completely smoked on the play where Judkins was stripped. Derrick Harmon made the play and Tegra was blocking him, but Jackson letting his man through was the bigger issue.
  • Josh Simmons going out is probably going to be catastrophic. Michalski wasn't particularly bad from what I could see, but there were way too many penalties on the line.
  • Receivers are still great. No concerns there.
  • I though they'd put time back on the clock after the illegal substitution on the last drive.

• The defense was terrible today.
  • Denzel Burke had the worst game of his career. I won't even fault him for that first TD since he had good coverage and that was just a hell of a throw and catch. Everything else though? He was just flat out bad.
  • Still concerned about the lack of pressure. I have no idea how many times they blitzed, but it was hardly noticeable when they did. Too many of those dumb delayed blitzes too.
  • They did get some pressure on the opening drive of the second half. Oregon ended up punting. Weird!
  • The defensive line rotation is still really annoying at times.
  • Credit where it is due: Oregon's 4 and 1 play-action conversion was a great call.
  • I don't have much more to say about the defense. It was just a gross performance. Rough night for Jim Knowles.

***I didn’t even mention Ryan Day at first when I absolutely should have. His handling of the game’s final moments was dreadful.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.