ADVERTISEMENT

Going in different directions for two top targets

Alex Gleitman

Junior
Jul 8, 2019
y7recxwhypp2epdwypx2

***SPECIAL THANKS TO OUR PARTNER INFINIT NUTRITION FOR SPONSORING "A-DECK"! CHECK THEM OUT AND GET SOME HANDCRAFTED CUSTOM PROTEIN & RECOVERY MADE FOR YOU!

Welcome back for another edition of “A-Deck” at BuckeyeGrove.com, presented by Infinit Nutrition, where I’ll bring you thoughts, what I’m hearing, inside scoop, tidbits, and more for Ohio State recruiting and team coverage, every Wednesday.

Last week’s A-Deck (and the two before that) featured “Behind The Scenes: National Signing Day 2020”, where I dove into some stories from Ohio State’s recruiting efforts in the latest class.

This week, we dive into the latest on a couple of top targets for the Buckeyes in the 2021 class, RB Will Shipley and DB Kamar Wilcoxson, both of whom play at positions of great need for OSU this cycle.

SHIPLEY TO VISIT, MAKE DECISION SOON AFTER

Many fans want to talk about Donovan Edwards, TreVeyon Henderson, Camar Wheaton, and others at the running back position, but they should not forget about all-purpose star Will Shipley, who is high on the Buckeyes’ board and is strongly considering the program.

Shipley came up for a visit in November (Penn State game) and it definitely exceeded his expectations. At that time he told me he’d absolutely be back in Columbus for a visit this spring, and that OSU would be among the final group of schools he’d be considering the whole way.

I spoke with Shipley on Monday evening and it seems that next visit is going to happen soon. He doesn’t have any dates pegged down just yet other than Notre Dame on March 20-22, but he told me is working closely with the Ohio State staff to schedule the best time for them and his family to get him back to campus.

Shipley said he could get to a total of four or five schools in March and April, with Clemson, Alabama, N.C. State, and Stanford being possible trips in addition to stops in South Bend and Columbus. The Matthews (N.C.) Weddington star told me that he will “most likely” be making a commitment following this round of visits as well.

With that said, where does Ohio State stand? Right now, I feel like they’re running third behind Notre Dame and Clemson (not sure who is first) right now. If this visit does get scheduled, it will be a great opportunity for Ohio State to try and make its move here on the Irish and Tigers, especially by being able to show Shipley how bad he is needed, with it looking like Steele Chambers is the only healthy scholarship running back in action this spring.

As of today, just being honest, I see Ohio State landing two backs not named Will Shipley in this class, but they’re certainly going to make their best efforts here and work to leap into the front if/when this spring visit happens.

reioxhzww7lbfbr9frco

WILCOXSON SET FOR SPRING TRIP, FLIP ON DECK?

In more positive news, it definitely looks like Ohio State will be hosting current Florida commitment, defensive back Kamar Wilcoxson, for a visit this spring.

The 6-foot-2, 185-pounder from IMG Academy told me on Sunday evening that he will visit Ohio State on either March 28 or Aprl 11 (spring game), and is also looking at an official visit to Columbus from July 12-July 14.

Getting anyone on campus twice in a span of three months is always a great thing, but it’s a pretty significant indicator of interest from a prospect who is:
a) Currently committed to another program
b) An out-of-stater
c) A 4-star prospect ranked in the Rivals 250

Having done some additional digging with some sources down in Florida, the vibe there is that not only is a major threat to flip Wilcoxson from Florida, but that most feel that the Buckeyes lead all schools, including the Gators right now.

We’ll see how this goes in March/April and then again in July, but I would not be surprised at all if Ohio State is able to flip Wilcoxson at some point, likely after the official visit. Of course, with all similar prospects, they’ll have to fight until December to keep him, but I sure think things are heading in that direction.

One other thing I do want to point out is that while Rivals lists Wilcoxson as a safety, and many feel that’s where he’ll end up, Ohio State has to continue to recruit him as a cornerback. That’s where he wants to play at the next level and the minute the word “safety” comes out of a coaches mouth, that’s about it for that school having any chance with the talented athlete, per my sources.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News